Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yellow backing is bleeding through---HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellow-backing-bleeding-through-help-t151359.html)

fladack 09-08-2011 09:32 AM

Hello, I made a big mistake and now am trying to figure out what to do. I've been working on a banner for my church all summer. It is a bunch of bright multicolored appliques on a pale white/blue background which looks a little bit like clouds. I had a lot of bright yellow fabric which I used for the backing and Large label which has all the names of the kids of the church on it. I quilted through the label. I put the quilt in the washer in cold water, no detergent, on rinse and spin only to get out all my blue marking pen lines. The blue pen came out beautifully. The yellow apprently (oops) was not prewashed and has bled through in pale yellow blotches especially in the area of the label which is in the lower third of the quilt. I ran it through again with color catchers twice. It's still there.

So do I just keep dong this till the color all bleeds out?

Rather than continuing to try to get it out should I think of a way to cover it up? For example: should I run it though with some extra of the yellow thrown in, in hopes that the yellow will bleed evenly every where? Is there some other creative thing I could do?

irishrose 09-08-2011 09:37 AM

Soak it in OxyClean and do not let it lay wet in the washer. The minute the washer stops, get the quilt in the dryer if the stain is gone.

bearisgray 09-08-2011 09:40 AM

Some yellows are also bleeders - in fact, in one group of fabrics that I bought for an applique class - the yellow one was the only one that spilled color. The other colors in that group - same line of fabric - were dark red, dark green, and dark brown.

Sorry you had a problem - and hope you can get it out.

fladack 09-08-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Soak it in OxyClean and do not let it lay wet in the washer. The minute the washer stops, get the quilt in the dryer if the stain is gone.

Is that a laundry detergent? "Max Force", Arm and Hammer plus OxyClean, or Stain remover? In a quick on line search I found several types out there which one do you mean?

emerald46 09-08-2011 10:59 AM

Oxyclean comes in a small tub shaped container. Oxyclean is name of product....advertised on t.v. but available at all stores.

fladack 09-08-2011 11:31 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by emerald46
Oxyclean comes in a small tub shaped container. Oxyclean is name of product....advertised on t.v. but available at all stores.

bstock 09-08-2011 12:42 PM

Do not dry in a dryer if the stain is still there. It will never come out.

madamekelly 09-08-2011 02:10 PM

They also have one at dollar stores that I throw in each load I wash. My clothes 'feel' cleaner with it.

Greenheron 09-08-2011 02:13 PM

I believe I'd try to dye the whole thing or perhaps a light, mottled tea stain. That's so disappointing, isn't it, when you are making something special?

fladack 09-25-2011 05:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I said I would post a picture of this and here it is. Finally no yellow is visible.