Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yellow Brick Road Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellow-brick-road-fabrics-t109994.html)

sonisew 03-23-2011 07:07 AM

I am going to make a quilt using the Yellow Brick Road Pattern.

I am going to make a quilt for a full size bed. I would need 24 fat quarters, my question is the fat quarters that I pick,

are there certain patterns that would look better together? Like do I stay away from the larger print flowers or only use more of the solids?

Any help is appreciated

Scissor Queen 03-23-2011 07:29 AM

Using more than one type of print will make the quilt more interesting. Use a medium scale floral, a small scale floral, a couple of geometrics (dots, stripes and plaids) and some that read as solid will give your quilt some interest. Since there's no real pattern the YBR quilt needs a lot of interest in the fabrics to make a really pretty quilt.

Shelbie 03-23-2011 07:44 AM

I don't think that there are any rules for this one. Pick colours and patterns that please you. If you are the 'matchy" type select four colours that co-ordinate and buy six fat quarters in that colour family remembering to vary the size of the design (each one could be different). Also try to make sure that you have some lights, mediums and darks in each of your colour selections. This is a wonderful easy pattern and no matter what colours or fabrics you choose, it will look great.

PiecesinMn 03-23-2011 07:52 AM

I love this pattern. I've taught the class a number of times and seen samples of the quilt hanging in quilt shops. It is one of those patterns that looks good however it is made up. Go with what you like.

katier825 03-23-2011 08:13 AM

As others have suggested, use a mix of prints for the best look. I bought a kit my hubby picked out and it had too many similar scale prints in it. I didn't like the top when I got it done, it's very plain looking. Someday, I will add some applique to spruce it up. I wish I had paid more attention before buying it, it wasn't cheap!

pattypurple 03-23-2011 04:49 PM

FYI- check the sizes of your FQs. A friend got everything ready for this pattern and the FQs were either cut too small or crooked enough that she couldn't get the right amount of squares out of them. Some stores seems to measure down to the thread and sometimes a little less.

Pat

sewingsuz 03-23-2011 04:58 PM

Soni, thanks for asking this because I was wondering the same thing, I want to use this pattern also, soon. Suzanne

Gennynut 03-23-2011 05:08 PM

I would suggest fat quarters that are coordinated of least 3 main colors . One of the colors can be black or white. I have done one in Asian fabrics in purples and I am doing one now in bright greens and hot pinks. I have found a having different values or shades of the colors and different size prints and a couple of solids add interest over all.

sonisew 03-24-2011 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple
FYI- check the sizes of your FQs. A friend got everything ready for this pattern and the FQs were either cut too small or crooked enough that she couldn't get the right amount of squares out of them. Some stores seems to measure down to the thread and sometimes a little less.

Pat

Great idea! Thanks for that tip.

nycquilter 03-24-2011 08:30 AM

also, remember it is a busy pattern so try to throw in some solids/read as solids to give the eye a place to rest. I made six yellow brick roads from a set of 36 coordinated FQs--Aunt Grace throughout the year, and added some solids in the AG line and everyone who saw the quilts loved them. Me too, and I was not originally an AG fan!