Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yellow brick road? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellow-brick-road-t6891.html)

Joan in AK 05-05-2008 06:17 PM

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I just joined today! I have been reading the messages for a while and feel like this is a very friendly and helpful forum.
I am interested in doing the Yellow brick road quilt and wondering if those
who have done it have any suggestions especially as to color since that is one of the things I struggle with. I am ordering the pattern but the back just lists the fabric requirements I think. I will pick a theme fabric and then go from there, but how many different colors does one choose. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Joan

Minda 05-05-2008 06:39 PM

Hi Joan.
I've never made a yellow brick road quilt but just wanted to say welcome aboard. :D :D

tlrnhi 05-05-2008 07:07 PM

I have made many of them.

Just can't seem to find the pictures at the moment.
I used it mainly to do quilts for kids.

Harmony 05-05-2008 09:11 PM

I haven't done one either, but I've seen lots of them. Find a fabric you love and then pull other fabrics that are within it. Welcome to the board--people here are very friendly!

Sew N' Snow 05-05-2008 11:27 PM

Hi Joan, I have made several Yellow Brick Road quilts and I think you can put as many colors or shades of colors as you would like...Where do you live in Alaska?...I am from Anchorage..Welcome to a wonderful quilting group...

tlrnhi 05-05-2008 11:41 PM

I've just gotten the number of fat quarters it calls for, but usually use a theme when I get them.

sewhappy 05-06-2008 02:11 AM

Hi Joan, Welcome! I've made quite a few Yellow Brick Road quilts, you can
use as many or little fabrics with this design. Great choice for a beginning
quilt as you can't go wrong with it! Good Luck! You now know where to look
if you need help. :roll:

Missi 05-06-2008 06:00 AM

Hi Joan Welcome
I have made two of them, will post pics when I get home from work. The number of different fabrics/colors is completely up to you. My first I only used four or five different fabrics, the second I used a collection of approximately 20 different fats. In fact I have the blocks done, but haven't sewn them together. I might just do that this evening for you :)
This is a great quilt if you are beginning. The first time I made the quilt I did make some of the blocks backwards but it came out ok.

ScubaK 05-06-2008 06:32 AM

Hi and welcome to the board.
I have never made one but I am sure as you can tell that there are very helpful people on this board to help with your quilt.
Good luck and post some pics.
Kirsten

Joan in AK 05-06-2008 09:04 AM

Thanks to all for your wonderful replies. I have been quilting for a while, and wanted to do the YBR because it is easy. But as I mentioned I struggle with color choices because I have bought some fabrics which I at first really liked but then when I began to put the blocks together it didn't look good at all. This has happaned so many times that I have gotten discouraged. But I still keep trying.
Thanks again.
Joan