Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   yellowed fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yellowed-fabric-t33489.html)

chris_quilts 01-07-2010 11:52 AM

I have a large piece, about 6 yards, that has yellowed mostly along the fold lines. Have washed it twice with color safe bleqch but yellow still there. It's a lite blue and white fabric so can't use bleach bleach. Washed once in cold and then in warm water. DD says leave it as it is yellowew throughout whole piece. Any ideas and/or suggestions???

MadQuilter 01-07-2010 12:33 PM

Option: overdie the whole thing in a deeper shade than the original.

Use as is or cut out the faded pieces. (That's what I have done, just cut around the "bad" parts.)

Oklahoma Suzie 01-07-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Option: overdie the whole thing in a deeper shade than the original.

Use as is or cut out the faded pieces. (That's what I have done, just cut around the "bad" parts.)

I would just cut around it.

Moonpi 01-07-2010 04:08 PM

I'd cut around the fold marks,too.

bebe 01-07-2010 04:11 PM

cut around the stained piece. In the future it is recommended that one refold fabric often and another hint is if you are afraid of fading turn it inside out.

Where were you storing it? :-D :-D

chris_quilts 01-07-2010 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by bebe
cut around the stained piece. In the future it is recommended that one refold fabric often and another hint is if you are afraid of fading turn it inside out.

Where were you storing it? :-D :-D

In a container with other fabric. This is the only one that became yellowed. :-(

bebe 01-07-2010 05:19 PM

I had a fabric that did that it was due to the way it was folded and printed on. I often fold and rfold fabric 2 or 3 times a year. Bummer when you find your fabric is damaged :(

littlehud 01-08-2010 06:59 PM

You can still use the undamaged pieces. What a shame though.

Gwyn 01-08-2010 07:05 PM

If you can not cut around the flaw, you might try aging the entire piece with tea. You could even "tie-dye" it a bit by tying knots or using rubberbands to bunch the fabric up so it isn't died perfectly. Then the whole thing would be more evenly stained. I've done this with old crochet thread, white satin and cotton fabrics. If you like aged look, it might work.

chris_quilts 01-08-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
If you can not cut around the flaw, you might try aging the entire piece with tea. You could even "tie-dye" it a bit by tying knots or using rubberbands to bunch the fabric up so it isn't died perfectly. Then the whole thing would be more evenly stained. I've done this with old crochet thread, white satin and cotton fabrics. If you like aged look, it might work.

Great idea! Hadn't thought of that one. I may try it. Had thought of using as is as backs of wallhangings b/c whoever looks at those especially if there's nothing written on them. :)