Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yes another Grace frame question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yes-another-grace-frame-question-t228489.html)

lhayes1976 08-22-2013 03:48 AM

Yes another Grace frame question?

Presently I FMQ on a Singer 15-91. I love it, except for one thing--I really need the needle down feature. After doing some research, I am contemplating getting a Grace frame too along with a new machine. For all of you who have this setup, is it really worth it? What I mean by that, is the frame takes up so much space. I am a hobby quilter and have just mastered stippling and loops. As I stated in another forum--will it be a hallelujah moment and I will wonder how I ever got along without it, or will it just end up taking space in my basement?

mpspeedy2 08-22-2013 04:39 AM

I probably am not the right person to answer your question. I have three Grace frames but they are all for hand quilting. I also own two Bernina sewing machines that have the needle down feature. I couldn't imagine sewing without the needle down feature. I only machine quilt children's quilts for Linus and nothing bigger than crib size. I don't use a frame for that. In your picture you show two lovely children. Hand quilting would enable you to talk with them while you quilted and be a part of a family group watching TV or just hanging out. You wouldn't have to worry about the children getting hurt while grabbing at the machine and it is totally quiet so you could carry on a conversation. Just my two cents.

alleyoop1 08-22-2013 05:43 AM

I have a Bernina frame which is made by Grace Company. I wish I had done a lot of research before buying it. It's a good frame but there are features I would have liked which it is lacking. So do your homework before you buy and, if possible, go to shops or a quilt show and see the different frames and their various features. With a quilt frame set up I think needle down is imperative. As for what it will be like for you - only you can answer that. As a hobby quilter will you use it enough to justify the cost (I certainly don't) or does the cost not matter. As for me, I can't imagine quilting on my sewing machine. I LOVE the feel of guiding the machine over the quilt to create something that may not be perfect but it's getting better as I go on. That for me is the best part of quilting.

crideout 08-22-2013 06:26 AM

I have a Grace GMQ frame and Janome 1600db. I think the decision on whether or not to purchase a frame depends on what you want. I love piecing tops and would rather spend my time doing that rather than FMQ. The frame allows me to finish my quilt and start another top sooner. Yes, the frame is big. However, it allows me to do bed size quilts which I prefer. If you do get a frame and new machine, be sure to get the largest throat machine you can afford. It can be frustrating having to roll your quilt frequently. I bought the Janome (up/down needle) to see if I would enjoy frame quilting. I know this is how I want to quilt my tops and now I am looking for a larger throat machine.

nancysp 08-22-2013 06:31 AM

I was seriously thinking of getting a Grace Frame until I tried it. To me, it was not that easy and takes up a lot of space. And I felt I would need another machine because the frame wouldn't fit in the room where I piece. I decided that I'm going to continue my quilting on my Brother 1500 with no frame. When I make a really special quilt, I will spend my money on having it done professionally. I suggest you find one to try or at least see it so you get an idea on how big it is and what's all involved.

mighty 08-22-2013 06:36 AM

I use a frame, love it!

Candace 08-22-2013 07:21 AM

If I were going to invest in a frame that takes up so much space, it would be a long arm. I would save for it, as anything else wouldn't compare. I'd get too frustrated with the limited quilting space on a small throat machine on a frame. Let alone the small bobbin that would have to be changed out constantly.

Debbie B 08-23-2013 05:05 AM

I bought a used Little Gracie II frame with a Juki TL98Q machine a couple years ago. I love it. I hated get on the floor to make my quilt sandwich. I think there are pros & cons to any frame. I had one issue with the frame (plastic tracks cracked), but made some modifications. I had to look at what I could afford and what would fit into my sewing room. Yes, I would love more throat space, but I can stipple, loop, swirl, make leaves & paisley designs (well...they might pass for a leaf or paisley...lol). Pantographs can be limiting, because my machine's smaller throat space & I gave up on those. I prefer to FMQ. My frame will only go up to queen size, but my sewing room is 10' x 12" & I would not be able to have a larger frame. Good luck!

DOTTYMO 08-23-2013 08:54 AM

I purchased the sewing machine juki tl98q which does not do loads of fancy stitches it goes forward backwards and stops. It has a large throat which was why I purchased but all the new jukes also have same size throat. ( we measured them. At class )
Try to find me where to have a go at using the frame. I had a days lesson plus short spells at shows etc.
mine is 9 ft try to get the longest you can to put big quilts on.