Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yesterday a find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yesterday-find-t60564.html)

deanna.r 08-21-2010 08:54 AM

Roberta, I take Lyrica (pergabalin) for fibromyalgia, also for nerve pain from a spine problem. It's quite expensive if you don't have drug coverage; but, for me, it was a miracle that gave me my life back. It helped with pain that even narcotic drugs didn't touch. There were some side effects (light-headedness, dizzyness) at first, but they went away after about two weeks. Also, it's so wonderful to have a solid and restful good night's sleep. Maybe it would help your situation.

pab58 08-21-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
If my DH did that to my machine during a divorce, he would be 'Mr. Bobbitt" come morning.
Don't ya mess with my machines and I won't mess with your equipment.

OMGosh!!! Too funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta 08-22-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
Roberta, I take Lyrica (pergabalin) for fibromyalgia, also for nerve pain from a spine problem. It's quite expensive if you don't have drug coverage; but, for me, it was a miracle that gave me my life back. It helped with pain that even narcotic drugs didn't touch. There were some side effects (light-headedness, dizzyness) at first, but they went away after about two weeks. Also, it's so wonderful to have a solid and restful good night's sleep. Maybe it would help your situation.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about this drug when I have my next appointment. I'm always nervous in taking a new medication because I have strange reactions to some but the pain lately is so much worse that I'm willing to try anything.

Thank you for this first hand info. My son works for Pfizer and suggested I take this drug last year but the pain wasn't as bad and the forgetfullness as stong as lately. Isn't it a horrible thing to live with when nobody can give you an answer on just what causes this You can't plan anything ahead because you might have a flare-up at any time.

deanna.r 08-23-2010 03:10 PM

Roberta, it's really hard when pain takes over your life. My husband, who is not an empathetic personality, told someone that he thought I was just being lazy. Talk about adding insult to injury! There were times when I spent days curled up on the couch in the fetal position, wondering if I could contine.

I found that I might as well have put over-the-counter and prescription drugs in my shoe for all the good they did me.
I researched new developments in drugs for nerve pain on the internet and found out about Lyrica through that. It was a fairly new drug at the time and I was lucky that my GP was open to trying a patient suggestion.

I hope the next information isn't seen as overkill; however, if you're like me, you like to know that a drug recommendation is backed up by scientific studies.

Some new research indicates that the more pain that you have, and the longer that it persists; the more easily new pain sensations are tranmitted to the brain. (There is a saying in Spanish that I heard in Mexico that translated says, "Those who suffer, must suffer more.")

The following comment was in a study on Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome which was published in The Annals of Internal Medicine, 2010. "Although the cause of the syndrome is unknown, precipitating factors include injury or damage to the body's tissue. Changes in the way nerves send messages to the brain about pain may occur at the injury site. These changes may then lead to more changes in the nerves of the spinal chord and brain. All these changes are thought to play a role in causing and prolonging the condition. Conventional pain drugs either don't work, or have considerable side effects."

Some Research:

Spinal cord injury patients with moderate to severe nerve pain experienced less pain and in some cases no pain while taking the drug pregabalin (Lyrica), according to a study published in the November 28, 2006, issue of Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

^ Crofford LJ, Rowbotham MC, Mease PJ, et al. (2005). "Pregabalin for the treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial". Arthritis Rheum 52 (4): 1264–73. doi:10.1002/art.20983. PMID 15818684. Free full text

^ Siddall PJ, Cousins MJ, Otte A, Griesing T, Chambers R, Murphy TK (2006). "Pregabalin in central neuropathic pain associated with spinal cord injury: a placebo-controlled trial". Neurology 67 (10): 1792–800. doi:10.1212/01.wnl.0000244422.45278.ff. PMID 17130411.

^ U.S. Food and Drug Administration (June 21, 2007). "FDA Approves First Drug for Treating Fibromyalgia". Press release. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01656.html. Retrieved 2008-01-14.

Gabapentin is an older medication of the same type which I didn't find helpful.

Also, there are studies that indicate that increasing your intake of Vitamin D helps to reduce pain. During the months when you are not getting direct sunlight, you can take 4,000 to 5,000 IU/day in supplement form. I know this is much more than the RDA, but you will not get into overdose range until you get to at least 40,000 IU.

Bottom Line: I think it's worth a try.

Roberta 08-23-2010 07:57 PM

Your hubby and mine must be cut from the same mold. He too thinks it's "all in my head" which just makes matters worse.

I believe mine started after a total knee replacement that had followed rather quickly after a house fire where we lost everything. The physical as well as emotional trauma brought on this pain that just won't quit. I used to have periods where I was relatively pain free but those are now very rare and I'm really getting depressed when I just can't keep up anymore. I'm only 68, feel 98, act 108 :| I can't drive far, can't take trips because sitting in the car is just too painful and I can't walk for days after. I am going to ask my doctor about the Lyrica. If I have any reactions I'll stop. I have strange reactions to drugs. I had to take Coumadin after my surgery which made me so sick I couldn't eat and I lost 34 lbs. and was actually gray in color. The visiting nurse who came to do the PT actually called to doctor I looked so sick.

I so appreciate your suggestions and reports you sent. It helps to have someone who is going through this so you know you're not "crazy", "lazy", or any of the other things they label us because they can't seem to find the root cause of this.

Thanks again!