Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yesterday's discovery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yesterdays-discovery-t247358.html)

beaglelady 05-25-2014 12:15 PM

Thanks for that great idea! :thumbup:

DebbE 05-25-2014 12:45 PM

That's a great idea -- I've been diluting the glue slightly so that when I used the paintbrush it spread easier. Using a mini roller would be even easier and very spreadable if dipping from the mini paint container that goes with the roller. My hands hurt from squeezing the glue bottle, which is why I started opening the bottle, pouring it in a container & thinning slightly with water. Works very well and my hands don't hurt anymore. LOVE the roller idea -- thanks!!

Teddybear Lady 05-25-2014 12:56 PM

I haven't used the glue method yet. Does it "gunk up" on your needle when sewing or is this just used for hand sewing?

yngldy 05-25-2014 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6730618)
Nice idea! I dilute the glue just enough to use a spray bottle. Works great for me.

Onebyone: How much water, 50/50? Spray bottle from $1 store? Does it dry and stop up sprayer?

mommysewist 05-25-2014 01:38 PM

Sorry, I'm a little confused... Are you glue basting your quilts with Elmer's? How does your sewing machine do with it? I am a huge fan of 505 spray.

jo ford 05-26-2014 02:34 AM

thanks for passing this idea on. I prefer 505 spray but it is so expensive. I have a heavy hand when using Elmer's glue. Will definitely give this a try.

citruscountyquilter 05-26-2014 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mommysewist (Post 6730879)
Sorry, I'm a little confused... Are you glue basting your quilts with Elmer's? How does your sewing machine do with it? I am a huge fan of 505 spray.

Yes, we are glue basting our quilts with washable school glue such as Elmer's. I don't spread the glue but rather put it in thin stream over the batting of the quilt. I don't have globs generally doing this but if I do at the beginning I just spread it out with my finger. I have never tried spreading it out with a paint brush or as suggested here a paint roller. There are some issues with hands getting tired squeezing the bottle but once the bottle is getting near empty I switch to another bottle which is easier to squeeze and then drain the glue from the old bottle into a less empty bottle. I also store my closed bottle of glue upside down as suggested here on this board by someone which eliminates the dried glue in the nozzle that occurs once you use the bottle. I like the glue basting over spray basting because there are no fumes or over spray which makes it much neater to use. I have not had any issues with it gumming up my machine. It is dry when by the time you are quilting. I also use it to hold my binding in place while I'm hand sewing the back. No pins to stick me!

solstice3 05-26-2014 03:48 AM

Great idea!

lclang 05-26-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Marsh (Post 6730572)
Yesterday while rummaging through our painting equipment I came across this mini paint roller and I thought I would try it out on Elmer's glue sandwiching a quilt back. Oh my gosh - this is so easy, and the drying time is shortened - no more gobs of glue, no more heavy lines of glue. I used to use a paint brush, but this mini is perfect for spreading the glue. Just passin' it on.

One of those little rollers for smoothing seams in wallpaper works well too.

svenskaflicka1 05-26-2014 05:25 AM

just be sure to remember to use the SCHOOL GLUE, not the regular elmers! the regular stuff will never wash out, and you will have a crunchy/stiff quilt.