Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yikes! what size? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yikes-what-size-t12897.html)

fabricluvr 11-04-2008 12:58 PM

i have a gentleman that is going to make me a quilt rack that hangs on the wall. he wants to know what size (how wide). i don't have a wall hanging picked out at this point and want to be able to use it for lots of different wall hangings.

i don't think i'd ever hang a bed-size quilt on the wall (have floor quilt racks for those). i know wall hanging patterns come in all shapes and sizes.

what size would you recommend? for some reason i have 50" stuck in my head, but i'm just not sure (they're only $20, so i'm getting two).

zyxquilts 11-04-2008 02:14 PM

50" would be a pretty BIG wallhanging! Maybe get one that size & one 36" - 40"?

Boston1954 11-04-2008 02:26 PM

I think the 36-40 would be good also. The average wall hanging will fit into that easily.

Quilter101 11-04-2008 02:39 PM

36-40 would be good, but I don't know anything about it. Trust your feelings and go with 36-40 for one, and 50 for the other :wink:

fabricluvr 11-04-2008 03:24 PM

thanks ladies -

i think maybe i'll get a 36" and a 48". the wallhanging patterns that i have (but haven't made yet :D ) would fit into those sizes.

any more input?

mary quite contrary 11-04-2008 04:40 PM

Sounds like a good reason to start another project.

AnnaDuv2 11-04-2008 06:55 PM

Do you have a pattern for the rack? I'm hoping my bro-in-law will make me one for Christmas.

Where in NW Ohio are you? I'm in Whitehouse.

fabricluvr 11-05-2008 02:16 AM

Hi Anna - nope, no pattern. i saw this guy at the Grand Rapids Apple Butter Festival. he only had two quilt racks there and someone swiped the last one just before i reached for it :( so he gave me his name and told me he'd be at the Craft Fair at the Toledo Rec Center over Thanksgiving weekend. he's going to make them and have them there for me.

Hi neighbor! I live in Perrysburg! we should get together! where do you do your quilt shopping (mostly?). i spend time at the Quilt Foundry in Maumee (so close). I also do the block-of-the-month at Sonflower. i LOVE to drive out to the Door Mouse in Bettsville, about 3 times a year.

I see that you are a park ranger. which park? we love the metropark system!

nor'easter 11-05-2008 06:39 AM

I hang lap quilts of 60x60 size, but I live in "open concept" and have some cathedral ceilings. It all depends on your home in my opinion. Where do you want to hang the pieces? Better the rack is too big than too small. You can always hang a narrow piece next to a wider piece to fill a gap.

AnnaDuv2 11-05-2008 07:25 AM

Hey there, Patty, I grew up in the 'Burg--that was a loong time ago. We live at Oak Openings where my husband was Manager/Ranger (now retired and often underfoot) and in the summers I'm a ranger at Yellowstone. Too bad being me.

When you get your rack, I'd love to see it so my BIL can make one for me. I'm hoping to be able to switch quilts quickly and easily. And the room I'll put mine is has really high ceilings, so I can go pretty big. Most of the stuff I'll put up there runs in the 5x6 foot range.

Does the Quilt Foundry have a long arm? I've been going out to Wauseon to Corner Quilts. Just picked up a new pine tree pattern--it uses specific material and the thing absolutely glows--one of the most amazing quilts I've ever seen. It's called Alpine Wonder by HD Designs (Mary Lou Hallenbeck) in Brooklyn MI. I usually try to do something unique, but this thing is drop dead gorgeous. Now I have a big time incentive to get the house cleaned so I can sew!!!
CU soon,
Anna