Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yo Yo english paper piecing people (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yo-yo-english-paper-piecing-people-t57518.html)

Barbara Lee 08-02-2010 03:06 PM

I'm just getting into english paper piecing. How do you hold the 1" hexagon together to sew. its so tiny. Do you glue the template on the material?

sewingladydi 08-02-2010 03:17 PM

You can pin or just hold it.

If you go to you tube and search for english paper piecing, there are several videos that may help you.

Bottle Blonde 08-02-2010 03:24 PM

I use elmer's stick glue to hold the fabric to the paper. (I make sure I'm using elmers because I know it is water soluble) Use a paper punch to punch a hole in the center of the hex - you can then stick a toothpick or small crochet hook in to help remove the paper later.

Some people print the hexagons on freezer paper, that will stick to fabric when ironed on.

Have fun!

Barbara Lee 08-02-2010 03:53 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try. :-D

lovequilts 08-02-2010 04:30 PM

I use a tiny "binder" clip I fold over the first edge and then clamp it with the "clip". Then I can work around the hexagon and remove it. Has been working very well for me.

The other suggestion which I tried this weekend was to photo copy the hexagon's onto freezer paper and cut out and press onto the fabric. I'm liking this method also.

KatFish 08-02-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara Lee
I'm just getting into english paper piecing. How do you hold the 1" hexagon together to sew. its so tiny. Do you glue the template on the material?

I use paper clips to hold it until I baste it at the corners. :D

earthwalker 08-02-2010 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am an EPPiecer who thanks to the wonderful people here is now branching out into the world of machines.

I pin my fabric to my paper (1 centre pin is fine) then fold over the edges and baste (no need to go through the paper). Remove the pin and you are good to go for the next one.

To save getting bored I do a pile of pinning and basting, then stitch a few together, then go back to pinning and basting.

Here's a pic. Back of part complete block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90722[/ATTACH]

KatFish 08-02-2010 06:31 PM

I make my own templates out of thin card board. Mostly MtDew pop cartons. The stiff card board makes it really easy to sew together. When I have the desired amount of hexigons sewn together I press, and pop out the card board templates and reuse.

humbird 08-02-2010 07:05 PM

I use one pin in the center. I don't go thru the paper on the corners, but I do make one stitch on each side which I later clip, and I don't remove the basting. When I remove the paper, the threads are drawn to the inside. I have had some of the papers come loose before the stitching is done, so the stitch on each side seems to stablize things for me. Just my way. Good luck.