Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   yo yo quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yo-yo-quilt-t130009.html)

shihtzu 06-12-2011 04:26 PM

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me where are you suppose to quilt a YO YO quilt at? Thanks for any information

hopetoquilt 06-12-2011 04:49 PM

The one my grandmother has is not quilted. It just lays on top of the bedspread.

shihtzu 06-12-2011 05:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
THANK YOU, I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THEM AND THEY REALLY DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A BACK ON THEM AT ALL,
i AM THINKING ABOUT MAKING ONE FOR A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR MY 11 YEAR OLD GRANDAUGHTER, HER COLORS ARE BLACK , hot pink, maybe throw in some bright yellow. I have never made a yo yo quilt before, but I am always looking for new ideas, i have a deliah quilt on the frame now just have two more blovk to quilt and i will be done with it. when i get it fiished i will post a picture of it on here. Thanks again carlotta

attic windows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210628[/ATTACH]

basket weave
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210629[/ATTACH]

miriam 06-12-2011 05:18 PM

My 85 year old mom has a yo-yo 'quilt' her grandmother made. It is just as Hopetoquilt says - it goes over the blanket and the blanket shows through the holes between the yo-yo's. It is yo-yo's joined together. Mom's has groups of small multi-colored yo-yo's sewn together into squares - then there is a row of Kelly green around each of the 'squares'. The whole thing is on a diagonal and there are green yo-yo's all the way around. The diagonals are not filled in around the edges so it hangs in points. It is VERY elegant and VERY heavy and probably fragile at this point. ALL hand done. Mom only ever used it for special occasions so I've only seen it a few times.

mzmama 06-12-2011 07:24 PM

If you are going to make a yo yo quilt for Christmas, you better start now...

3NorwichTerr 06-12-2011 07:27 PM

Can't remember which magazine recently had a quilt with yo-yo's sewn onto strips that were pieced together on an angle. It was very cute. I'll have to look.

Deby

erstan947 06-12-2011 07:34 PM

The old one I have is tacked to the backing. I finished a double knit one and tacked to a backing. It's what ever you want to do.

ckcowl 06-13-2011 01:29 AM

the yo-yo quilt i am working on i plan to quilt- i am (appliquing) each yo-yo to a background- when the quilt top is together i will use a batt, and a back - echo quilt around each yo-yo- and do some meandering in the background areas.
some yo-yo quilts- just like cathedral window quilts- are really completed when you finish the top- they are not quilted- or they are tied.
it is a personal choice how to finish YOUR PROJECT

shihtzu 06-13-2011 04:11 AM

Thank you for the info. You have something to treasure. I bet it is beautiful. I will have to give some more thought to making this one for a 11 year old. I do plan on making one in the near furture. Thanks Carlotta

shihtzu 06-13-2011 04:12 AM

Thank you for the info. Carlotta