Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   yo you quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yo-you-quilting-t60224.html)

DeniseP 08-19-2010 10:35 AM

Has anyone ever made yo yo quilts or other things with yo yos?

vjengels 08-19-2010 10:42 AM

I started making yo-yos maybe 10 years ago, thought I'd make a coverlet.... I was using a bunch of scraps, I had at the time, I managed to make just over a hundred of them, made them into a wall hanging and framed it, then decided I didn't care for the way those fabrics looked...In my mind it was going to be done in 30's prints.... I just didn't HAVE any 30's prints..... lol. I haven't given up on the idea; But, I'm currently obsessed with a red white & blue english paper pieced quilt.

misseva 08-19-2010 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
b/c i had my left hand in a cast, i bought some prequilted fabric and appliqued yo-yos on a baby quilt. can't imagine our fore-mothers making enough to cover a bed. i used a yo-yo maker that i bought from sewing with nancy

my yo-yo quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99640[/ATTACH]

DeniseP 08-19-2010 11:12 AM

that's really a pretty quilt

Butterflyblue 08-19-2010 11:29 AM

misseva - what a cute quilt! I have always liked yo-yo's but didn't have any good ideas for using them. That might be something I can do.

lynnie 08-19-2010 11:34 AM

i've made a few covrlets , the raditional clown doll tiny ones to make flowers and petals,(used the end of a spool as my starting place) hot pads, placemats, flower centers
have fun good luck and show some pics

farmerswife 08-19-2010 11:41 AM

never made a quilt with them, but I did make Christmas ornaments with them. Trees. You make one for the top, then the next row has two, next four, three , two . Something like that and then you use small buttons for ornaments. To get them to stick together you just sort of slip stictch them together from the back.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-19-2010 02:16 PM

I just made a bunch of yo yo's from here to New York and back while we went to visit our families. I love the clover makers- so fun and easy! I just bought a flower one and there's a good Youtube video on it.
What I'm doing with them is making flowers for a quilt. The quilt called for 30 appliqued daisies that I wasn't wild about but the rest of the quilt is really pretty so I'm going to replace the daisies with yo you flowers :D
I'll post a pic but just don't hold your breath lol

Colbaltjars62 08-19-2010 03:26 PM

I am hoping to use mine to make a coverlet.
My Hubby makes fun of me because I keep a sewing container in the trunk of the car with fabric, thread, etc. in it to make yo yo's. I have somewhere around 150 made in different sizes. He asks why I keep it in the car. I tell him it is there so that if I ever go somewhere where I get stuck waiting. I'll have something to do to pass the time. Then I get the "eye roll" LOL
Yep he's a keeper. :XD:

misseva 08-19-2010 04:26 PM

yes the yo-yo maker is easy to use - i have the whole set - circles - flowers - hearts - i'm a sucker for new notions. my dtr is going to try to make some to go on a quilt and i have a friend at church that thinks she can do it. (it was her grandbaby that i made the quilt for).