Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You are all so clever!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-all-so-clever-t20115.html)

k3n 05-14-2009 09:49 AM

Hi again Ellie - I was very much a hand piecer and quilter until I came here - only used my machine for putting on borders - but I've been so inspired by all the wonderful patterns, and different projects I've seen here that I've really got into machine piecing. The hand quilting will stay though and I don't think I'll ever leave piecing over papers (my first love!) behind. The great thing about the board is the inspiration and support you get. I've made some great friends on here - even though you get nagged sometimes as well! (only kidding folks!)

K x

elliemay 05-14-2009 10:01 AM

Hi I have already seen on members avitars some gorgeous designed quilts... is there a facility for downloading patterns?? I have just this afternoon bought a book.. by Katherine Geurrier.. Quilting from start to finish.. I actually got this out from Library and found it so good I looked online.. its being delivered to my local W.H Smiths ...Newsagents... Its got everything in it... I not very good with a Rotary cutter... useless actually.. but One day...............

Guess who will be sat outside waiting for the shop to open next Monday???? :lol:

Izy 05-14-2009 10:46 AM

You will get to grips with your cutter, they are quite daunting at first, as long as you check and double check before making the cut...ask me how I know this????? :D

Hope WH smith is in a centre, be abit cold waiting for the door to open lol!!

sewnsewer2 05-14-2009 11:06 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I agree, you can do it! We all had to start somewhere too.

littlehud 05-14-2009 06:04 PM

Welcome from SW Iowa. I struggled my first year trying to teach myself to quilt and then found this site. Everyone here is so helpful and my list of quilts I want to make is growing by leaps and bounds. So many wonderful inspirations here.

k_jupiter 05-14-2009 10:58 PM

Welcome.

First off, if I can do it, you can too. I is a man. *L*

Second, the board is great. More info and experience than you can shake a stick at.

Third (OK, OK, I am an engineer, I like numbers). start simple. Turn20, Yellow Brick Road, Rail Fence are all great patterns for you to master first. If ya make a mistake, no one will notice but you and the time factor will let you get a quilt done fast.

Fourthly, next do a quilt in a day by Ellenor Burns. Perhaps the simple but elegant Log Cabin in an 'all sevens' or 'barn raising' pattern. You will learn so much on how to make short cuts that make the piecing go faster.

Fifth ( I always like that number) Ignore when magazine articles tell you how to do a pattern. When it says "Cut out 272 10cm squares of each of the first seven fabrics"... someone has no clue. There is a better way.

Sixth - Make a quilt for yourself. It is always inspiration to make quilts for others when you are looking at your own handiwork. It's even better if you are snuggled up underneath one of your own quilts with a quilting book, magazine, or partner who supports your habit.

tim in san jose

tlrnhi 05-14-2009 11:19 PM

We are supposed to make a quilt for ourselves?????

k3n 05-14-2009 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by elliemay
Guess who will be sat outside waiting for the shop to open next Monday???? :lol:

I've got a Guerrier book too - the Encyclopeadia of Patchwork, something like that. It's very good, clear instructions etc. I refer to it often, I'm sure you'll love your book!

A tip I just learned when rotary cutting - the hand on your ruler, let your little finger hang off the edge and sit on the mat (obviously the OPPOSITE side from where you're cutting :D ) - makes slippage NEARLY impossible. Also, get in the habit of thumbing the cover back over the blade EVERY time you've made a cut. I do it now without thinking. I saw a tute on Youtube the other day and the woman was putting her cutter aside with the blade OUT - made me wince every time she did it! It does you no harm to have a little fear of those things, they is sharp!

K x

PS If you look back at some old topics, you'll see it's not only your fingers you have to look out for - some 'boarders' have injured their knees, even feet! :shock:

PrettyKitty 05-15-2009 02:06 AM

Welcome! I was new to quilting too when I signed up last year. I have learnt SO much by reading all the posts on here. Usually when I want to ask something I do a search for it first, most of the time there is already plenty of advice in the threads already! Enjoy, we can't wait to see your work.

Ninnie 05-15-2009 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by elliemay
Hi I have already seen on members avitars some gorgeous designed quilts... is there a facility for downloading patterns?? I have just this afternoon bought a book.. by Katherine Geurrier.. Quilting from start to finish.. I actually got this out from Library and found it so good I looked online.. its being delivered to my local W.H Smiths ...Newsagents... Its got everything in it... I not very good with a Rotary cutter... useless actually.. but One day...............

I too had trouble learning how to use the cutter, just keep trying and soon you will just have it down pat. I love this board, if I get off track and can't get in the mood to quilt, I just come on here and look at all the beautiful quilts and I am off and running. I have only been here a couple of months and have learned so much. everyone here is eager to help including me, so just ask away. :D :D

Ninnie