Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You Americans that think it's about to get expensive to quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-americans-think-its-about-get-expensive-quilt-t105587.html)

rb. 03-06-2011 06:55 PM

I know some of us in other countries have mentioned how expensive it is for us to quilt. Here's a good example. About 4 months ago, I bought 2 cases of Hobbs Heirloom queen batting from Hancocks of Paducah. That's a total of 12 batts. With shipping to my Michigan sister-city, just across the bridge, and currency exchange, the price worked out to about $14 a batt. Yesterday we received a Fabricland flyer in our paper, Fabricland being our large, national fabric store. Woohoo! They had Warm and Natural queen batts on sale! Just $30 each! That's a steal! Regular price in the flyer is $70 EACH! I am not joking. Now you know why I buy just about everything for quilting from the US and pay shipping.

carolaug 03-06-2011 07:04 PM

You can get it for 12.99 at Joanns fabric with the coupon...

Originally Posted by rb.
I know some of us in other countries have mentioned how expensive it is for us to quilt. Here's a good example. About 4 months ago, I bought 2 cases of Hobbs Heirloom queen batting from Hancocks of Paducah. That's a total of 12 batts. With shipping to my Michigan sister-city, just across the bridge, and currency exchange, the price worked out to about $14 a batt. Yesterday we received a Fabricland flyer in our paper, Fabricland being our large, national fabric store. Woohoo! They had Warm and Natural queen batts on sale! Just $30 each! That's a steal! Regular price in the flyer is $70 EACH! I am not joking. Now you know why I buy just about everything for quilting from the US and pay shipping.

tslowery 03-06-2011 07:14 PM

wow...Like my grandmother always said "If you think you got it bad someone somewhere has it worse than you do baby so be thankful for what you have"

CloverPatch 03-06-2011 07:17 PM

You know I just gotta read anything that starts off with "You Americans" Makes me chuckle.
Wow, I hav't order batting, I always go pick it up and never pay less than $25 a twin, and thats with a coupon. I think I need to start looking online!!!

EasyPeezy 03-06-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by rb.

I totally agree. And with the exchange rate it's really worth buying from the US right now. Just do your homework regarding shipping cost.

7armadillos 03-06-2011 07:43 PM

Hey! Aren't Canadians Americans too? As in North America???

3flowers 03-06-2011 07:58 PM

Just a quick note. I was in Walmart yesterday and found that our store now carries 80/20 cotton/poly batting. The price for a king-queen size was $17.99. That about equals the price at Joann's with coupons. Same brand, too. This is great for me because I am going to stock up next week.

CloverPatch 03-06-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 7armadillos
Hey! Aren't Canadians Americans too? As in North America???

Them theres fighten words!:lol: Ha. Reminds me when I traveled to Germany, shop owner was telling me how "my people" were just here. I said "oh?" She said "yes Quebec, Your people, Americans yes?" :lol:

I wish I could travel more, would love to check out Canada! after all your right... Its right there!

luvnquilt 03-06-2011 08:25 PM

Wow, that's expensive enough to make it really difficult to quilt for fun! I'm glad you're able to get lower priced merchandise shipped to you.

rb. 03-06-2011 08:35 PM

;). I can say you Americans, 'cause I was born in Michigan, but raised "up here". :D

I had no idea Joann's sells it that low...but I always seem to be there without coupons. :(. Good to know about Walmart, too. Our Canadian one doesn't sell anything but poly, but there's a new super Walmart on the US side...I'll check it out.