Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   you convinced me on Vintage Singers and I bought one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-convinced-me-vintage-singers-i-bought-one-t107033.html)

hobbykat1955 03-12-2011 05:06 AM

OK...on impulse the other night on ebay I purchased a 1955- 99 Singer with case. I'm sure I overpaid 99.00 but when I saw that it was my yr of birth and 99 is the yr I retired it just called my name. Hope it works as stated and looks as good in person, being mailed out today. I have my Grandmothers old Singer sewing cabinet but the machine itself had rusted out so I'm hoping the 99 fits right into the cabinet. My husband thinks I should see if Grandma's machine can be rehabed so that's on the list to do.
I now have my eye on a featherweight and 301A that I might purchase by the end of the wk. I have to get over this obsession with Vintage or I'll need a separate rm just for old machines.

erstan947 03-12-2011 05:08 AM

The old Singer Virus is very contagious:) Love my featherweight!

scrapykate 03-12-2011 05:17 AM

hope all will be well when you set her up. My husband thought I was nuts when I got a belt for my treadle machine...he just doesn'tunderstand...but he loves my quilts.

Terryl 03-12-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The old Singer Virus is very contagious:) Love my featherweight!

I think I caught the "vintage machine" strain of this virus, as I have multiple different models of vintage machines, singer, phaff, new home, minnesota, necchi, I thought it was something that could be cured, but I now know that it's impossible to get over :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: Not that I've tried so hard to find the cure. :wink: :wink:

CarrieAnne 03-12-2011 05:57 AM

Yep, a bad virus!!!!!!!!! Plus the old machines are like strays, they will follow you home from place like garage sales, lol!

quilter711 03-12-2011 06:06 AM

Yes, it is a virus. I have it. They have not found a cure and I don't know if anyone is working on finding the cure ;)

Quilter711

Stitchnripper 03-12-2011 06:08 AM

Oh I agree. Started with a treadle, then an electric vintage in a cabinet, then featherweight, and now looking for a 301. Not to mention a Singer I bought in 1964 new, green, works great, an Elnita that works great but hard to thread, garage sale find, and my trusty Brother mechanical, Costco bought, that does everything I ask it to do, no fussing at all. Where will it end???

CarrieAnne 03-12-2011 06:09 AM

Only one cure I know of....run out of money!!!!!

emerald46 03-12-2011 09:06 AM

It is a useful addiction! Usually they are easily returned to running order, cause little problem, sew beautifully and they are just too dang pretty.

thepolyparrot 03-12-2011 09:39 AM

Congratulations on the 99 - I don't think you overpaid at all. :)

They're a lot of fun to sew with and to work on. It feels so good to take a grungy old hulk and turn it into a clean, functional sewing machine.