Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You could have knocked me over with a feather!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-could-have-knocked-me-over-feather-t228215.html)

michelleoc 08-18-2013 08:53 AM

You could have knocked me over with a feather!!!

Yesterday I was at Joann's to buy some St. Patrick's day fabric. I don't normally buy fabric there because of the quality (or lack thereof). I found what I wanted in the sale (red tag) section and as the woman was cutting the fabric she said, "Since this is on sale you can't return it." Well, I was in my own little world and suddenly...wait! What?!? She said, "If you buy fabric at Joann's, as long as it wasn't on sale, you haven't cut it again and it hasn't been washed, you can return it"!! I have never heard such a thing! It's kind of like buying a book, reading it and then returning it for a refund. She said that people do it all the time...I didn't even get the memo that this was allowed! Very surprising to me...am I the only one out of the loop on this? Did everyone know but me? That just doesn't seem like a very good idea from a business standpoint.

orangeroom 08-18-2013 08:58 AM

I've heard of this. However, usually within 10 minutes of me getting home, the material is cut. I've never contemplated returning material. I've sat back at the end of a shop hop and thought "Oh boy! I sure did buy a lot." Never did the thought enter my head "I should return some, or this or that!" NEVER!!!

yngldy 08-18-2013 09:16 AM

I have returned some to Joann's. Usually for clothing and I decided to go in another direction, and would not use the fabric for any other occasion. Has to be within 90 days, uncut. Never heard of the sale part, and I usually buy everything when it is on sale. Maybe she said clearance? That would make sense.

Tartan 08-18-2013 09:21 AM

​I have never I encountered that. I thought once you had it cut and left the store you were stuck. Of course I just add it to my stash to use on something else if it doesn't suit the project.

BellaBoo 08-18-2013 10:18 AM

I have never returned fabric. Seems a waste of time. Fabric can always be used.

nhweaver 08-18-2013 10:22 AM

I have returned an entire piece to Joann's, that didn't match/didn't work with a project. (a few times there were "errors" in the fabric). As long as it was the original length, and within 30 days I didn't have a problem. I cannot imagine returning "the extra bit" that I didn't use.

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-18-2013 10:27 AM

I didn't know this. But then I have not thought of ever returning fabric. If I can't use it I either try to "home" it with a quilting friend, put it in my stash, or donate it. Although if I find "errors" in the fabric I would return it. But I have not had to do so yet.

gale 08-18-2013 10:31 AM

I knew it but I would never return fabric unless it was really expensive AND cut wrong or something. There's always something I can use it for eventually. At least that's what I tell myself (every time I buy fabric I don't need).

piepatch 08-18-2013 10:36 AM

I knew you could return fabric if you got it home and found a flaw, or it was damaged in some way, but I didn't know you could take it back for any other reason.

nanac 08-18-2013 10:44 AM

Return fabric!?!? Isn't that against the law or something.? lol