Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You guys fixed it!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-guys-fixed-t145961.html)

LLWinston44 08-17-2011 10:19 PM

I could NOT figure out why I was getting such crummy results as far as my block size!!! Thought it was mt seam, bought a 1/4" foot with a guidr, thought it was my cutting, bought a slotted ruler, thought it was my pressing, bought a new ironing board. But what seems to have fixed it ( thus far, knock on wood) is the $.99 can of starch!!!! I am simply amazed at what a difference that makes!!!

fidgety 08-17-2011 10:21 PM

yep that starch will save alot of headaches. Pressing not ironing will distort fabric too.

Airwick156 08-17-2011 10:30 PM

I didn't know until recentlty that there is a difference between pressing and ironing. I thought they were the same thing and a lady came to visit us at my sewing group and saw that I was "ironing" and she told me thats not what I was supposed to do that I should be "pressing" and she showed me the difference..and IT DOES MAKE a difference. Sometimes I still find my self ironing, but not very often anymore.

wanda lou 08-17-2011 11:44 PM

think I will try this. i always just spray a little water.

bloomin'Iris 08-18-2011 01:53 AM

and the difference would be.....:?

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I didn't know until recentlty that there is a difference between pressing and ironing. I thought they were the same thing and a lady came to visit us at my sewing group and saw that I was "ironing" and she told me thats not what I was supposed to do that I should be "pressing" and she showed me the difference..and IT DOES MAKE a difference. Sometimes I still find my self ironing, but not very often anymore.

KarenR 08-18-2011 01:55 AM

What's the difference?

MsEithne 08-18-2011 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris
and the difference would be.....:?

Originally Posted by Airwick156

In ironing, you put the iron down on the fabric and slide it back and forth.

In pressing, you lower the iron onto the fabric and hold it in position without moving it.

Ironing is faster but risks distorting the grain, particularly with smaller pieces. Pressing is slower but will not distort the grain unless you put the fabric down in a distorted position.

Painiacs 08-18-2011 02:21 AM

I didnt know either!! Thanks

abdconsultant 08-18-2011 03:08 AM

love this site for that very reason.

Xstitshmom 08-18-2011 03:10 AM

I didn't know this. Thanks for the lesson!