Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You know how you say, someday I am going to make some order with this fabric.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-know-how-you-say-someday-i-am-going-make-some-order-fabric-t148695.html)

judylg 08-29-2011 04:19 AM

I am taking a fractured quilt class in October, was out shopping found fabric that would be suitable. But, said to myself I have to go through my fabric, first. Yesterday, I let the yardwork go and started just that. My basement is a mess, so is my laundry room where I keep my totes. I pulled it all apart looking for either a 12 inch or 24 inch repeat on the fabric. Found some that will work in a 12 inch repeat, found co ordinating fabric to go with it. Now that is neatly tucked aside, now I am sorting through fabric, by color and some category. I have enough, maybe, I think, as others have. This feels so good to organize. I know it will not last forever but for the next bit of time, I have an idea of what I have. I have way more red than I thought, that surprised me. Anyways, thanks for the inspiration here, someone is always doing something in their sewing area and I do think of organizing when I read it. Am happy. Of course this cleaning is taking away from my sewing time, can't have it all, I guess. So cleaning does save you money or it has for this project.

frauhahn 08-29-2011 04:27 AM

Pleasse let us know if you ever find that perfect way to stay organized-I've completely given up on that concept!!!

judylg 08-29-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
Pleasse let us know if you ever find that perfect way to stay organized-I've completely given up on that concept!!!

I am not sure there is a perfect way to organize, for me, I do not have a sewing room that I can shut the door and no one sees. I prefer, not sure that everyone I live with would agree with me, to be in the basement, where the tv is, I can have the tv on or the radio. It forces me to keep my sewing area in some kind of order. Naturally, I have to pack my fabric into totes, I do like the clear ones now. I have them labelled by color and category on the outside. This MIGHT make it easier when I am looking for something in particular. Rather than, the adding a tote as a buy it and throwing it in. It was all mixed up. And as I went through it all, I had some pleasant surprises, too. Feels good.

AUQuilter 08-29-2011 04:51 AM

Great idea to shop through your stash and you were able to find it! Organizing the fabric is easy (however you want to do it) - it is keeping it that way that requires some clean up after each project. Not easy though.

judylg 08-29-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
Great idea to shop through your stash and you were able to find it! Organizing the fabric is easy (however you want to do it) - it is keeping it that way that requires some clean up after each project. Not easy though.

I should be finishing up, but here I sit. I find my sewing space is like the rest of the spaces in my house, if I consciously make an effort to keep....say the bathroom closet area clean it is great, when I start to let it slide, things happen and accumulate where they should not. The sewing area I find is the same, I am good, but in the heat of a project things accumulate around me and a mess is born.

traumaRN 08-29-2011 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my storage solution. Yes, there was an initial investment but I will have these forever. I sort by fabric groupings; then by color, but everyone has their own system.

judylg 08-29-2011 05:17 AM

That is wonderful, can I borrow it and the window??? I have a window but nearly that big, makes for great lighting. Thanks for sharing.

Chicca 08-29-2011 05:33 AM

I am organizing all of my fabrics and sewing room. Having a grand time; but the thought keeps popping up will all this effort really work or will I have a mess again in a short while. LOL. Glad you found some treasures to use for your project.

janell2009 08-29-2011 06:12 AM

Yes it can get away from us so fast if we do not keep up with it.. I have several shelves that need some sorting done to it again.

mandyk 08-29-2011 02:04 PM

TraumaRN I need you to come to my house!! My closet is in dire shape--just keep throwing fabric on one shelf and it's seriousle overloaded. Cannot get in gear to organize. Just want to keep sewing. HELP ME