Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your best quilting related garage sale or market find-- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-best-quilting-related-garage-sale-market-find-t64643.html)

CAJAMK 09-14-2010 03:07 AM

I am just wondering. I love to go to sales every Sat I can. I have found so many wonderful items over the years. I truly feel blessed as this past weekend I found an embroidery machine for $50 in great working condition. A Brother PE 150. I know it is a bottom line but we all have to start somewhere. I have found wonderful fabrics & notions as well. But I feel this was probably my best quilt related bargain.

erstan947 09-14-2010 03:12 AM

You will have great fun with your find. Enjoy!!!

thequilterslink 09-14-2010 03:47 AM

I got a janome gem for $80. about 7 years ago, love that machine. I go to lots of sales too and have found some great bargains, quilt books for 50 cents, really cheap fabric, lots of goodies.

cjomomma 09-14-2010 03:56 AM

You did good. My best buy was a Montgomery sewing machine for $2.00 no pressure foot, I figured if it didn't work I would decorate it. It turns out it does work and it works great.

CAJAMK 09-14-2010 03:59 AM

I am like a moth to a flame when it comes to sewing machines at a sale! Of course, when there is fabric then I am like a ant to sugar!!

CarrieAnne 09-14-2010 04:00 AM

I found an old mint green Singer for 15.00 in a cabnet. Its really pretty! Plus I find books and magazines for really cheap. Oh, and my Necci sewing machine was only 3.00, and it works great!

Shelbie 09-14-2010 04:10 AM

My best buy at garage sale was a featherweight for $45. The guy selling it was forever wheeling and dealing and selling "stuff" at fairly frequently held garage sales. He was always bragging about the $ he was collecting but he obviously knew nothing about featherweights. I cheerfully forked over the cash and didn't let on how thrilled I was. The funniest part was about three months later, he phoned me about buying another featherweight at $45. I snapped up that one too. Now both my daughters have a featherweight and my oldest is cranking out "snoods" for her Cavalier dogs (my avatar Molly is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) to keep those long ears out of doggie dinners.

CAJAMK 09-14-2010 04:12 AM

OMG $45?? for 2?? now that is what I call a bargain!! Congrats! I would be doing a big time happy dance if that happened to me only once~

BarbaraTX 09-14-2010 04:43 AM

Great garage sale finds:
- a real gold bracelet for 25 cents. It was in a box of junk jewelry.
- a med sized cutting mat for 25 cents.
- an old ('50's type) black leather motorcycle jacket with all the zippers for $25. That was back in 1979 and hubby still has it (not sure it still fits him, though)

Stitchnripper 09-14-2010 04:57 AM

1. An elnita all metal sewing machine for $10 in perfect working order, all parts and manual
2. A vintage singer electric in a mahogany cabinet, all parts and in perfect working order - $24.98
3. Huge box of quilting fabrics $5.00 which I shared with my quilting buddies.
4. Box of scraps cut into approx. 5" squares from which I made an entire quilt top. $4.75

I am hoping to stumble upon a featherweight.