Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your experience and opinion please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-experience-opinion-please-t282840.html)

AUQuilter 10-07-2016 01:33 PM

Your experience and opinion please

Opened a kit, sorted fabrics and read and reread the pattern. I need some help though before I start cutting. The pattern instructions are confusing and no final measurements of the units were given so I emailed the pattern/kit designer- no response yet. I need to make HSTs and I only know the method where you draw line diagonally, sew to each side and trim up. I finally figured out from the rereading that the size of the HST need to be 1 7/8". I think I can use a 2 3/4" square of each fabric and get two HSTs. But I did see this method where you get 8 units at a time. Has anyone used this: https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/01...are-triangles/

Your help will be greatly appreciated as the amount of fabric in this kit is not as generous as most I have purchased.

Thanks!

Bree123 10-07-2016 02:21 PM

If the finished size is 1 7/8" on each of the short sides, then to do the Magic 8 HST's, you'll need to cut each square at 5.5", and that will yield 8 triangles.

If the unfinished size is 1 7/8" (meaning the finished size is 1 5/8"), then the Magic 8 square should be 5".

Yes, I have used that method. It is very good as long as you cut your squares to the proper size & with the grain of the fabric. The downside, obviously, is that is your Magic 8 square is off by a bit, all 8 pieces will be the wrong size. And if you stack your fabric & mis-cut a few squares at once, the problem is multiplied. So ... moral of the story is: measure carefully!

PaperPrincess 10-07-2016 04:56 PM

I use this method and just oversize the starting square a bit, then trim. I like the fact that this method does not produce HSTs with bias edges.

Barb in Louisiana 10-07-2016 06:05 PM

What is the name of the kit? Do you know where it came from? Maybe one of us have the instructions.

Maureen NJ 10-07-2016 06:42 PM

I love the Magic 8 but I learned it on Lynn Wilder's website, sewn wild oaks, and her formula is to add 1" to the finished size HST and multiply by 2 to get the size of the 2 large squares to start with. It is a great site with lots of pictures. I made Lady of the Lake with 700 + HST and this method was great. After I got done with making all of these, I bought the Blocloc HST template. I highly recommend their templates. I have several HST and Flying Geese templates and they make it so easy.

Bree123 10-07-2016 07:12 PM

See edits below.

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7671283)
If the finished size is 1 7/8" on each of the short sides, then to do the Magic 8 HST's, you'll need to cut each square at 5.5", and that will yield 8 triangles.

If the unfinished size is 1 7/8" (meaning the finished size is EDIT: 1 3/8"), then the Magic 8 square should be EDIT: 4.5".

Yes, I have used that method. It is very good as long as you cut your squares to the proper size & with the grain of the fabric. The downside, obviously, is that is your Magic 8 square is off by a bit, all 8 pieces will be the wrong size. And if you stack your fabric & mis-cut a few squares at once, the problem is multiplied. So ... moral of the story is: measure carefully!

AUQuilter 10-08-2016 05:04 AM

Kit came from Farmhouse Threads, Sewing Room Sampler. Their instructions were for only one method which was to cut squares, then cut diagonally twice and then sew units together forming the HST. There would be tiny triangles to sew together AGH! So I was looking for a better method and how to calculate the measurement to be successful. I did use Bree123 calculations and scrap fabric to make a prototype. Worked fine but I did have to trim a smidgen so I will give her EDITED dimensions a try later today. Thanks so much everyone!!!

tessagin 10-08-2016 05:13 AM

Anxious to see when finished.

Barb in Louisiana 10-08-2016 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter (Post 7671654)
Kit came from Farmhouse Threads, Sewing Room Sampler. Their instructions were for only one method which was to cut squares, then cut diagonally twice and then sew units together forming the HST. There would be tiny triangles to sew together AGH! So I was looking for a better method and how to calculate the measurement to be successful. I did use Bree123 calculations and scrap fabric to make a prototype. Worked fine but I did have to trim a smidgen so I will give her EDITED dimensions a try later today. Thanks so much everyone!!!

That is a cute quilt.

leighway 10-09-2016 04:39 PM

About 3 years ago, I bought a software program called Triangulations...https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Tria.../dp/1936207168 and I've never looked back. No matter what the finished size is I can pull it up, print a page on my computer, sew the fabric to the page, cut it out and it's perfect!! If you think you're going to be quilting for a long time ahead this is one Must Have tool. Good luck with kit!