Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your Favorite Seam Ripper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-favorite-seam-ripper-t252766.html)

Treasureit 08-31-2014 12:01 PM

Clover with a fatter handle...you do need to replace these sometime...dull ones sure make it harder to do!

bearisgray 08-31-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 6867214)
The one that I can find.
sandy

Same one that I use!

I also like the very thin tipped curved cuticle manicure scissors.

zozee 08-31-2014 10:38 PM

Haha--yes, indeed, the one that I can find!

Thanks for your input, everyone. I guess I had never realized how many choices there are . Choice is good. Unless of course, you're stuck in the quagmire of indecision because there are good reasons to like different ones, but I don't HAVE to have a new one just yet.

I'm kind of drawn to the larger, wood-handled style and I like a tweezer-ended one as well. None of mine have that and I guess I really hadn't really thought that tweezers might do a faster job than my chubby fingers. :O)

solstice3 09-01-2014 02:57 AM

I have grandma's but it is getting dull. I have a blue handle one from Joann's as well as a tiny travel one ( about 3 inches ) that works well

Yooper32 09-01-2014 03:04 AM

The one with the teensiest tip on it, to get under one of those teensy stitches I had to go and sew.

Maureen 09-01-2014 05:02 AM

My favorite seam rippers are made by my husband. he buys the materials to make them from Woodworker's Warehouse. I have them is several beautiful colors. Most if my friends have them too now. They make great gifts.

carolynjo 09-01-2014 05:18 AM

I don't have a favorite; I just need to keep them in every room!

grann of 6 09-01-2014 05:30 AM

Well, the other day I had to remove a border that I had applied wrong. Since I have arthritis in my hands, I was trying to find something easy to use, and quick. I then remembered something I had just bought to shave the belly of my Great Dane...It is basically a mustache trimmer, but made for shaving dog's little faces. It was $20 at the pet store, fits in the palm of your hand, takes 1 AA battery and is the quickest seam ripper I have ever used, and I didn't have to worry about cutting the fabric. You can also use it to remove embroidery stitches when using the embroidery machine. I think I know what my quilting friends will be getting for Christmas.

w1613s 09-01-2014 05:43 AM

I discovered my favorite seam ripper at an LQS. It is made in Germany and sold by Kathy Rudy in WA. I am not affiliated with the US source other than as a customer.

This ripper is at the same sharpness level as the blades for roller cutters. It is a single, metal blade. The first 1/2 inch is shaped like a sickle. The last 4+ inches are the blade. When I bought the first one at the LQS I wondered if it would be hard to handle it. It wasn't.

They do not last forever but are relatively inexpensive. Lately I have been thinking of getting in touch with Kathy and ordering some more. My "closest friend" has discovered the occasional use for my old ones in his workshop. The pointy end of the dull ones is useful in the house. Grooming African Violets, for one. A while back I bought 25 of them and have been using them as gift box/bag decorations for my quilting and sewing friends.

There, you have all the information I can give you about a seam ripper you may have never seen. I enjoy mine as much as one CAN enjoy a seam ripper.

Pat

maviskw 09-01-2014 06:11 AM

One with a flat handle (so it doesn't roll away) would be a favorite.