Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your favorite starch method, starch formula or starch alternative? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-favorite-starch-method-starch-formula-starch-alternative-t112609.html)

woohoowendy 04-01-2011 10:51 AM

I love Mary Ellen's Best Press but I find it is extraordinarily expensive.

Would love to hear from those who have preferred starch products or methods . . . . what do you use and why do you prefer it? Do you make your own formula and can you share?

I think I may need to learn how to make my own starch formula or starch-alternative formula as a budget-stretcher and would be so grateful for help from all you experts. Please post your ideas and preferences.

thanks!
Wendy 8-)

AgapeStitches 04-01-2011 10:54 AM

I use Sta-flo mixed 50/50 with water. I like it cause it's cheap and easy to find.

irishrose 04-01-2011 11:00 AM

I mix Niagara non aerosol spray starch with water. It comes out just like I want -I like the smell of the lavender one, too. I do keep one bottle unmixed to spray the backing before sandwiching. No aerosols here if they can be avoided.

PiecesinMn 04-01-2011 11:04 AM

I like the Best Press as well. I find it at Fleet Farm. It is less expensive there than at the quilt shop (around $5.00) and about as expensive as using a coupon at Joann's without the 20 mile round trip. Winner!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 04-01-2011 11:20 AM

I like Sta-Flo. You can dilute several ways and it's a lot cheaper than the spray.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 04-01-2011 11:20 AM

Liquid starch, half n half (water) kept in refrigerator.

SuzanneG 04-01-2011 11:29 AM

I make my own. It's extremely economical, no preservatives, additives or perfumes, and it's super easy to make with just cornstarch and water, so I always have the ingredients on hand when I need to starch.

Put 1 - 3 tsps. cornstarch in 2 cup pyrex measuring cup.
Add a small amount of room temp water and stir to dissolve cornstarch.
Pour in 1 cup boiling water and stir well.
Add 1 cup room temp water and stir.
Pour into spray bottle.
Shake well before each spray.

This will last about a week. It has no preservatives, so it will go bad after about 7 - 10 days. I never have a problem with that because I usually use the whole bottle before the week is up. If I know I only need a small amount, I half the recipe.

Works wonderfully. The more cornstarch you use, the stiffer your fabric will be, so it's very adjustable to your own preferences. :D

amma 04-01-2011 11:36 AM

I purchase the spray cans at Walmart of Dollar Tree for $1 each :D:D:D

Lori S 04-01-2011 12:18 PM

I like the Stay flo - liquid concentrate. I can mix to what ever my needs are . Much cheaper than spray ! I like to immerse my fabrics so the fibers really get saturated. Then I let dry on a drying rack.
For those times whn I have not thought ahead and its only a little piece , I use the mixed starch in a spray bottle.
If you like the smell of some of the best press, you can add a fragrense to your own custom blend. I call mine Chanel # 1.

PaperPrincess 04-01-2011 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
I use Sta-flo mixed 50/50 with water. I like it cause it's cheap and easy to find.

Yep, Mine too.