Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are your machines insured (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-machines-insured-t304808.html)

QuiltE 05-20-2019 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8255420)
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just contact your agent and talk to him/her. That's what they are there for. It's always a good idea to have any big ticket items listed and insured separately. However, be aware that just having them insured doesn't meant you will get the enough to replace the machine unless you have them insured for replacement value.

Rob's advice is exactly what I was told by an estate appraiser. Have pictures and documentation on anything big items. There is a cap on what your can receive for the contents of your home. It sounds like a lot of money when you are reading the policy, but if you had to start replacing everything in your home that $50,000 isn't going to go that far.

dittto ditto and dittooooooooo to CashsMom!

Insurance policies vary far and wide and one should never hesitate speaking with their agent to check about coverage. goes for all types of insurance ... auto, home, contents, health, etc.

Just because a friend (or another quilter! :)) says it is covered or not, it is most important to know from your agent as to what your coverage specifically is. Likewise the deductibles.

I have a good relationship with my agent, and never hesitate picking up the phone and asking a "what if". Sometimes it may be based on what I have heard others say about their insurance. Sometimes it might be just me thinking after a discussion started IRL or virtually, as on this thread.

We did have this discussion about my sewing room a few years ago .... and made the adjustments.
Everyone should!

ckcowl 05-20-2019 06:37 AM

My machines are covered and I have appraisals kept in the safe. My studio contents are documented and covered. I tend to keep good records for tax purposes so have receipts and an up to date inventory

Jordan 05-20-2019 07:45 AM

I don't have insurance but it seems to be a good idea. I think a person would need a picture and estimated cost of the contents of the sewing room for their policy. Just my thoughts.

cashs_mom 05-20-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8255491)
I don't have insurance but it seems to be a good idea. I think a person would need a picture and estimated cost of the contents of the sewing room for their policy. Just my thoughts.

You often will. I have jewelry and some antiques on a rider and I have to have appraisals and pictures of the items. That's another thing you'd have to check with your agent about.

Doggramma 05-20-2019 08:12 AM

We have a extra rider on our insurance as we have art and other things too. I’ve been assured our policy would cover everything. I even asked about my huge fabric stash.

SusieQOH 05-20-2019 09:43 AM

Doesn't that fall under personal items on your homeowners policy?

Macybaby 05-20-2019 10:46 AM

We have a rider for my sewing machine collection, and one for the LA because the building it is in is too far from the house to be allowed to be covered under the policy on the house. The using machines I keep in the house are covered under the household goods policy. We reviewed the limits and decided there was enough there to cover those machines. We don't have much in the way of furniture, artwork, jewelry or other expensive belongings otherwise we probably would have needed to have a rider for those machines too.

Jingle 05-20-2019 02:22 PM

My stuff would be covered. I don't own expensive machines. If they were wiped out I would gladly buy new ones.

quiltingshorttimer 05-20-2019 06:19 PM

check with your insurance agent. Ours does a 'check-up' with us about every couple of years and I specifically asked about this at the last one because I was concerned about the long arm in particular. It's all covered under our contents part of home insurance. We also talked about whether I needed business coverage since I do some quilting for others--he said that unless they are coming to my house (not) in which case I'd need it in case someone fell; or if I had a large quantity of business inventory, that for what I do the homeowners was fine.

Murphy224 05-21-2019 12:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies. After I thought about it for a bit, I did call my insurance company yesterday morning and they said the machines would be covered under my policy. My shed got crushed by falling trees a couple of years ago and then my bathroom flooded and the insurance company was great about replacing everything and making it right with no fuss or muss. Really don't know why I felt hesitant. Feeling better about the what ifs......