Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your Preferred Quilt Backing... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-preferred-quilt-backing-t40734.html)

Rebecca VLQ 03-26-2010 03:50 AM

so, I started out small and used muslin for the backs of several quilts. Then, I got bigger and thought, why not put a "real" quilt back on the back? So, knowing nothing about quilt backs and their quality, I bought a couple patterns by South Seas and while they're "ok" it seems like the material is not as sturdy-soft-thick as even the quilt fabric for the top.

So...the question...what brands, lines make your favorite quilt backs? Do you ever just use 45" yardage and connect them (thus creating a seam on the back)?

sewcrafty 03-26-2010 04:15 AM

I have seamed my backs especially on larger quilts using the 45". Sometimes the 108"+ doesn't grab me for the backing I want and I'll use reg. fabric. If you can find low thread count sheets they can work well too.

Jim's Gem 03-26-2010 02:51 PM

I use regular fabrics that I buy on great sales. I have enough fabric to back, uh........ 50 quilts, maybe.
I just piece the backs!

jljack 03-26-2010 02:54 PM

I almost always use 45" wide fabric for backs, doing seams as needed. Only "fancy" quilts get fatbacks. If they are made to be used, why not? You can use up some of the "extra" fabrics in your stash to make backs - pieces, stripped, odd blocks, etc. (Extra?? Is there such a thing???) LOL

Oklahoma Suzie 03-26-2010 03:30 PM

I seam my backs too.

Rebecca VLQ 03-26-2010 05:25 PM

Ohhh, that makes me feel so much better! I was like, geez, as long as the seam isn't rubbing my face *I* wouldn't care...but thought it wasn't very ummmm...."quilty" to piece the back. So, yay!

littlehud 03-26-2010 07:36 PM

If my fabric store had wide quilt backing fabric on sale I stock up. If I don't have any I just use regular fabric.

justwannaquilt 03-26-2010 07:48 PM

I like to make a few extra quilt blocks (normally enough to do one row) just in case I mess something up while putting them together or whatever. Well knock on wood I have never had to use them in my tops, so I use regular farbic and the quilt blocks to piece the backs. I usually have a whole row of blocks across the back and then 45" fabric on both top and bottom of the row. It is normally cheaper than buying wider fabric and it looks like I wanted the seams there! Oh and there is no trying to match prints!

Charlee 03-26-2010 07:49 PM

I buy muslin...funds are kind of tight, so there's not much in the way of extra $$ for nicer quilt backing.

Someday, when I get some bills paid off and have a bit more disposable income, I'll use better fabrics for backing.

SuSu 03-26-2010 08:01 PM

I like to piece backs as well -- using up pieces that I have leftover that go with the top. I will also put in orphan blocks. You know the block you made but the size or contrast was off. I do like to use a brushed cotton on the back because it gives such a soft feel. That's especially nice on children's quilts. I'll use light weight flannel for the same reaon.