Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are your quilts smaller? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-quilts-smaller-t181103.html)

momto5 02-29-2012 04:41 PM

I'm making about the same amount of the same sizes (queen or better) that I have for the last several years. However, I am investing more stash on pet comforts at this particular time; we are getting a new spay/neuter office here and I'm trying to help.

GagaSmith 02-29-2012 05:49 PM

I prefer to make smaller quilts. Easier to handle and quilt on my DM. I do mostly baby quilts and lap quilts, table toppers and runners.

SittingPretty 02-29-2012 05:58 PM

I make lap size, "cuddle" quilts. I've made some twin size, but I like a square quilt about 50" to 60" square. Easier to quilt, takes less time and I can move on to the next project sooner.

katigirl 03-01-2012 01:05 AM

I had made so many big quilts over the years that the last several I went smaller. Now I make them on a more personal basis. I've also been in a big finish the ufo project last year and this. When I do any fabric shopping in the future, you can be sure it will be for specific projects. They will probably be smaller too.

katydidkg 03-01-2012 03:12 AM

Most of my quilts are the size that I can comfortably free motion quilt on my regular sewing machine. Anything bigger, gets tied.

carolaug 03-01-2012 03:30 AM

I have been making mine bigger due to requests...I have been making borders with left over materials from my blocks. They come out great...I agree with the mattress size is an issue...I am also thinking of trying to make a few larger since they no longer cover the mattress. I am trying not to buy any fabric this year...using only my stash so this also makes me more creative in my thinking. Its actually quite fun and using materials that I would not normally use for my project.

lfletcher 03-01-2012 05:55 AM

I have always made mostly lap sized quilts. I find they get more use from my family if they can be used while watching TV. I rarely resize a pattern. I just make it the size that is called for. The economy hasn't changed the size that I make, but I do dip into my stash a lot more rather than buying new which is not a bad thing.

Rose Marie 03-01-2012 06:00 AM

When first learning to quilt small is better. You can learn alot of different blocks and you can quilt them on your sewing machine.
I have only made a few large bed sized quilts and sent them out for quilting. No storage room for them either.
A friend of mine has an extra bed she uses to stack all her bed sized quilts on but I dont have an extra bed that dosnt get used so cant store them that way.
I much prefer making smaller quilts anyway.

ppquilter 03-01-2012 07:27 AM

I make quilt tops, but i come from a tall family so what i consider lap size might be 5' X 6'.

Lori S 03-01-2012 08:01 AM

Quite the opposite , I am making bigger quilts. They take longer ( less frequency to the LQS) , and are more likely to be used. My issue has always been , that I can not get out of a LQS with out spending at least $70.00. When I make projects that take longer , I have no need to go to the LQS.