Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your Softest Backing... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-softest-backing-t270711.html)

SusanMarie1956 10-04-2015 01:45 PM

Your Softest Backing...

Hi!

So far, what has been your softest backing? I'm making rag quilts right now. And I'm looking for a very soft backing for them.

Thanks!

Siusan

Kelly_Y 10-04-2015 02:00 PM

When I'm going for soft, I usually got for an all-cotton flannel backing. Hasn't dissapointed so far.

dunster 10-04-2015 02:03 PM

For rag quilts I use 3 layers of flannel, no batting. They're extremely soft and flexible, and there's no need for quilting since all 3 layers are stitched into the seams.

Marley46 10-04-2015 02:06 PM

That would have to be polar fleece for me. It comes in many colours and weights. I use it for most of my quilts which are nearly all made to be used and washed often.

soccertxi 10-04-2015 02:36 PM

softest was some sort of fleece I found at a discount fab store..still love Minkee. Have had no trouble quilt it on frame

Bree123 10-04-2015 02:50 PM

I truly love quilter's cotton, but have had many tell me that they like flannel on the back because it feels "softer".

Of course, all of us know that what you start with isn't always what you end up with. It depends how densely you quilt, what type of thread you use to quilt (or if you hand tie) & what you use for batting. My personal bias is that there is nothing like the feel of quilter's cotton with a higher loft cotton batt (Warm & Plush, for me) that is quilted 1-2" apart. That warm, wrinkly fabric draped around me or my loved ones is so cozy & comforting.

I would really encourage you to see if you can't find some completed quilts with different backings at your LQS or guild to actually feel as a completed product before deciding what you think is the "softest" choice for material. There are many different choices -- felted wool, flannel, minky, traditional cotton ... or even some non-traditional options like fleece, cotton chenille, dupioni silk, or satin. If you ask 10 different people, you may well get 6 different answers; the only opinion that matters is yours.

ManiacQuilter2 10-04-2015 02:53 PM

I haven't seen or heard anybody using minkee on the back of a rag rug quilt probably because it doesn't ravel like flannel does.

meyert 10-04-2015 03:23 PM

Minky has some crazy soft options that I have used for backings. There are some wonderful flannels out there as well

ruby2shoes 10-04-2015 03:29 PM

I back my rag quilts with good quality flannel: it softens beautifully and rags/frays great.....had a friend who used minky as a backing for a rag quilt and I seem to recall she was disappointed because it didn't fray but then figured it was a good trade off for a very silky soft backing. Cheap flannel won't fray or soften as nicely so it is worth paying for good quality flannel.

stillclock 10-04-2015 03:40 PM

good quality flannel and hobbes heirloom wool in the middle. hell yes.

aileen