Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Your Thoughts on the Flynn Quilting Frame System (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-thoughts-flynn-quilting-frame-system-t161481.html)

Theresa 10-18-2011 07:15 PM

Am considering purchasing this system for quilting. Has anyone tried it? Was it all you had hoped?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

skowron5 10-18-2011 07:18 PM

I have one of the original Flynn frames and I like it alot.

It does a good job you are just limited to the area you can move depending on the throat size of your machine.

If you can't afford a longarm I think this is a great substitute.

Rose L 10-18-2011 07:20 PM

Personally, I wouldn't bother. In pictures they always show it with a very narrow quilt on the frame which makes it look so easy to use. Now picture trying to work with a great big king sized quilt on such a set up and I think you might be asking for a great lesson in frustration. If all you do are small quilts then it may work. I'm probably biased though since I have a long arm and frame but I did reject this frame initially for the reason I listed above. JMHO.

Sadiemae 10-18-2011 07:20 PM

From all of the posts I have read, people either love it or hate it.

mtnative 10-18-2011 07:21 PM

If you do a search on this board for Flynn Quilt Frame you will find a lot of differing opinions. I think it really depends on the person. It seems to have its own learning curve and of course, practice is essential. I have seen some lovely quilts done with it. Of course, John Flynn does remarkable things with it but just think of the practice he has had!!

Theresa 10-18-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Personally, I wouldn't bother. In pictures they always show it with a very narrow quilt on the frame which makes it look so easy to use. Now picture trying to work with a great big king sized quilt on such a set up and I think you might be asking for a great lesson in frustration. If all you do are small quilts then it may work. I'm probably biased though since I have a long arm and frame but I did reject this frame initially for the reason I listed above. JMHO.

My understanding is that it will only quilt up to a 45" width. This can include a lot of things from table runners, toppers, wall hangings, etc.

BellaBoo 10-18-2011 07:22 PM

I have it. I like it a lot. I watched John Flynn use it for and explain all about how to use it, watched beginners sit down and use it and I tried it before buying. I put my machine in the middle of a folding table.

tuesy 10-18-2011 10:13 PM

When I first started quilting I thought this would be something I could do, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it'd just get sold in my next garage sale.

I'm holding out for the Avante' .... and maybe in a few years I'll buy it, but right now it doesn't feel right..

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 03:58 AM

i, too, thought about it. but i settled on a frame with a mid arm

patchsamkim 10-19-2011 04:00 AM

I had one of the original ones...and barely used it...thought it was too limiting and for me hard to use, so I sold it.