Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/youre-right-dear-i-only-have-%24100-worth-fabric-hah-t87346.html)

linken 01-04-2011 06:20 AM

Please remember quilters, that, if your insurance replaces items lost, the true value is what it would cost to re-buy,today,at regular price, not what you paid for it on sale.So...your stash is worth alot more than you think..

qwkslver 01-04-2011 06:28 AM

Oh my. What a question to be asked. And then there's the "gadgets". I would be speechless. I got in about $100 worth of thread this week alone, just thread.

just_the_scraps_m'am 01-04-2011 06:38 AM

food for thought--fabric doesn't depreciate--it goes UP in value the longer you have it...

Maire 01-04-2011 07:08 AM

Some years ago there was an article in the newspaper about a man arrested for growing pot. The sheriff was quoted as saying that he was under suspicion because he bought $4000 worth of gardening supplies and "no one spends that much on a hobby"
I became fearful because if that is the criteria for suspicion of criminal activity they would soon be coming after me! LOL
I pictured the jails filled with quilters trying to hold their machines & fabrics in their arms. LOL

mimee4 01-04-2011 07:15 AM

This is too funny. Ask him how much his tools or computer, etc are worth...

quiltmom04 01-04-2011 07:33 AM

My friend just had her condo destroyed by a hot water leak from the second floor. Furniture, art work, old books, new books, carpet, family photos all were ruined. She's had to itemize all her losses to get reimbursed and it's been a NIGHTMARE!! So don't underestimate the value of your stash - and YES - include machine cost to replace, LA cost ro replace,scissors, patterns etc. If something awful happens, you'll NEED that information!

TFquilter 01-04-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
Sad day when you have to 'fess up' to your husband about how much fabric you REALLY have and what it costs....

So my husband and I are currently getting quotes on home insurance. While on the phone with the agent, I learned our previous policy, which DH got without me really paying attention to the itemizations, had my all of my quilting fabric listed as approx. $100 value. DH turned to me and said, "Well this policy is about 5 years old, and I know you've bought more since then. What would you say it's at now, $200? $250?" I just looked at him blankly while my mind raced...tell him the TRUTH? Egads!?!?! I mean, I am normally all for 100% honesty in a relationship, but this is surely an exception to that rule? :wink:

It pained me, it really did, but since this is for insurance purposes and I know it will just come back to somehow bite me in the butt if I don't tell the honest amount (i.e. flood in basement where fabric is, fire, etc...) I told him "try closer to $2,000-$3,000 and that's being conservative." He and the agent (male/non-quilter obviously) were speechless. Now I have to send him pictures and any receipts I may still have to prove it, LOL.

How funny...love it..

Just thought I'd share that funny story with you all....so how much would your sig. other say your stash is worth? What's the "real" $ amount? :)

Tanesha

:-P

sall 01-04-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sall
Having read this post, I have never worked out how much I spend on my quilting in a year. So I have decided that I am going to keep a tab for all the fabric and quilting supplies that I buy this year.

Well having just ordered some fabric on line, I have made my first entry in my book. I think I will need a good fat notebook.

Angie Crowley 01-04-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
Sad day when you have to 'fess up' to your husband about how much fabric you REALLY have and what it costs....

So my husband and I are currently getting quotes on home insurance. While on the phone with the agent, I learned our previous policy, which DH got without me really paying attention to the itemizations, had my all of my quilting fabric listed as approx. $100 value. DH turned to me and said, "Well this policy is about 5 years old, and I know you've bought more since then. What would you say it's at now, $200? $250?" I just looked at him blankly while my mind raced...tell him the TRUTH? Egads!?!?! I mean, I am normally all for 100% honesty in a relationship, but this is surely an exception to that rule? :wink:

It pained me, it really did, but since this is for insurance purposes and I know it will just come back to somehow bite me in the butt if I don't tell the honest amount (i.e. flood in basement where fabric is, fire, etc...) I told him "try closer to $2,000-$3,000 and that's being conservative." He and the agent (male/non-quilter obviously) were speechless. Now I have to send him pictures and any receipts I may still have to prove it, LOL.

Just thought I'd share that funny story with you all....so how much would your sig. other say your stash is worth? What's the "real" $ amount? :)

Tanesha

cowgirl 01-04-2011 08:43 AM

Thanks for sharing your story because I had never thought about insuring all my fabric and machine.