Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You've Got Mail Quilt - Bias (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/youve-got-mail-quilt-bias-t258697.html)

Daylesewblessed 12-24-2014 02:09 PM

You've Got Mail Quilt - Bias

I am interested in making one of those envelop quilts as shown by Jenny Doan on Missouri Star, but I am concerned about the bias edges on each block when they are made her way. I would like to hear about your experiences with this technique.

Thanks!

franc36 12-24-2014 02:20 PM

I have made many of Jenny Doan's quilts with the biased edges and have never had a problem. I must confess that I heavily starch the fabric before using. I now use a mixture of 3/4 Sta-Flo to 1/4 water and put the fabric in the refrigerator or freezer overnight before pressing. That makes my fabric very stiff. I do handle it gently.

Tartan 12-24-2014 02:33 PM

I did the Dissappearing Hourglass with bias edges. I did starch well but the bias helped me with geting the intersections to match up perfectly. I have never had such a perfect top.

PaperPrincess 12-24-2014 02:41 PM

Everyone is different! I seem to have problems with bias edges, however, I do like many of her quilt designs. I just calculate the size of the cuts needed to create the right size HSTs without bias edges. Since I usually don't use precuts, I'm cutting yardage, so this isn't an issue.
I sure would try it her way at least once, however, as it's a lot quicker than my method!

Prism99 12-24-2014 10:47 PM

I think the bias edges are not a problem at all if you starch heavily before cutting, as others have mentioned. It is probably a manageable issue if you use unwashed fabric, as there is typically a lot of sizing in it straight off the bolt, which helps keep the fabric stable. The bias edges could present a real problem for quilters who like to prewash fabric and do not starch it before cutting; the prewashing takes out all of the factory sizing, so there is nothing left in the fabric to prevent bias edges from stretching wildly out of shape as you work with them.

applique 12-25-2014 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 (Post 7020403)
I have made many of Jenny Doan's quilts with the biased edges and have never had a problem. I must confess that I heavily starch the fabric before using. I now use a mixture of 3/4 Sta-Flo to 1/4 water and put the fabric in the refrigerator or freezer overnight before pressing. That makes my fabric very stiff. I do handle it gently.

I don't piece but my sister (a perfectionist) does. She is now using Terial Magic instead of starch. I just bought her two gallons of it for Christmas as she puts it in a big pump up spray bottle and a little goes a long way! She loves that stuff.

Joset 12-25-2014 11:20 AM

i just got that pattern i want to make that one too. thanks for the tips

lclang 12-26-2014 04:19 AM

I don't starch but am very careful not to handle the pieces more than necessary and never to pull them when sewing and I don't seem to have any problems.

G'ma Kay 12-26-2014 06:12 AM

Starch, starch, starch. I starch before I cut, and I starch when I press the block before joining. Starch.

ManiacQuilter2 12-26-2014 06:58 AM

I agree with PaperPrincess. I don't particular have great results with bias edges either.