Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   zipper without a zipper foot... yay or nay (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/zipper-without-zipper-foot-yay-nay-t241600.html)

libby2595 02-20-2014 11:16 AM

zipper without a zipper foot... yay or nay

yes, ladies and gents... i'm a newbie! ;)

i also have a vintage machine (8 of them, but who on earth is counting :D)
i would love to make a little purse/pouch while i contemplate my next quilted item. the pattern i'd like to make has a zipper. i do not have a zipper foot for my lovely older machine.

can i reasonably believe i can sew in a zipper without a zipper foot?
i googled my question, but didn't get a straight answer.

just in case the info is needed: 99% of my sewing is done on a 1951 Singer 301A

thanks for any info

Peckish 02-20-2014 11:52 AM

I very rarely use a zipper foot when I sew on a zipper. On my machine, I can remove the foot completely and just use the little stub.

Why don't you make a practice run? Get a scrap of fabric, use a large stitch so it's easy to remove, and test it out. :)

NJ Quilter 02-20-2014 12:00 PM

The only issue I see, if you're not able to sew with no foot, is that your seam will be a tad further away from the teeth of the zipper than if you did use a zipper foot. Would the 'floppiness' of the teeth edge of the zipper effect the use of the zipper or the item you are planning to make? Those would be my only concerns.

libby2595 02-20-2014 12:12 PM

deal!
i just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to break anything.

i'm game to giving it a try, even if it's ugly.
and the little project doesn't need a "perfectly" placed zipper... i just want to keep myself busy and trying new things while the next quilt slowly comes together!

Prism99 02-20-2014 12:40 PM

Be careful sewing without a presser foot. It's easier to sew a finger, and there's nothing to keep the fabric from going up with the needle. If you try it out, go slowly!

IrishgalfromNJ 02-20-2014 01:13 PM

You can also sew a zipper in by hand.

yngldy 02-20-2014 01:23 PM

Guess I am just simple-minded, but if you have 8 machines, why don't you sew the zipper on with one of the other machines, and sew the rest of the project with the machine you prefer? That is what I do when my favorite machine does not do a task I need done.

susie337 02-20-2014 01:53 PM

Just go ahead and use the regular foot on your machine. When I made my first pouch, I watched a YouTube video and the gal very casually said she never changes to a zipper foot on the pouches, you can get as close as you need to with the regular presser foot. I followed her example and I make all my pouches this way. They look great.

Tink's Mom 02-20-2014 02:34 PM

I never change to a zipper foot...just use my straight stitch foot. Just made a bag this morning and put the zipper in.

Jeanne S 02-20-2014 02:47 PM

Just use the narrowest foot you have to get as close as possible to the zipper feet. Hand baste your fabric to the zipper. You will just have slightly larger "flaps" over your zipper than you would using a zipper foot. I wouldn't sew without a foot for thread tension and safety issues.