Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   zippers without zipper foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/zippers-without-zipper-foot-t66499.html)

Moon Holiday 09-24-2010 05:20 AM

My GD recently asked me to show her how to use the zipper foot that came with the sewing machine I recently gave her. (She wants to make zippered wristlets for her girlfriends for Christmas but being a newbie to sewing she'd never tried installing zippers.) Instead I showed her how to install the zipper using a piping foot. I haven't used a zipper foot since the early 80s when my friend Jeanne showed me how much easier it is when you use a piping foot.... just set the piping groove on top of the zipper teeth, slightly adjust needle to correct side of teeth for stitching and sew.

auntmag 09-24-2010 05:36 AM

I think I will try this technique.

clem55 09-24-2010 05:49 AM

Good idea!!

amma 09-24-2010 08:03 AM

Thank you for sharing this tip! :D:D:D

sewgull 09-24-2010 08:09 AM

I will try this. I have never had problems putting in zippers. My mother taught my sisters and myselt when we first learned to sew.

littlehud 09-24-2010 10:08 AM

What a great idea. I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Quilter7x 09-24-2010 10:09 AM

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to try it as well.

Deb watkins 09-24-2010 10:38 AM

I have to try this! DD wants a zippered wallet with 7" zipper. Headache with just the thought of it.

loopywren 09-24-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
My GD recently asked me to show her how to use the zipper foot that came with the sewing machine I recently gave her. (She wants to make zippered wristlets for her girlfriends for Christmas but being a newbie to sewing she'd never tried installing zippers.) Instead I showed her how to install the zipper using a piping foot. I haven't used a zipper foot since the early 80s when my friend Jeanne showed me how much easier it is when you use a piping foot.... just set the piping groove on top of the zipper teeth, slightly adjust needle to correct side of teeth for stitching and sew.

I already do that but I want to say your avatar is just lovely, is it the world in time lapse, can I find it somewhere on the web. Thanks. Gwen

Moon Holiday 09-25-2010 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday

I already do that but I want to say your avatar is just lovely, is it the world in time lapse, can I find it somewhere on the web. Thanks. Gwen

My avatar is actually a time lapse of the moon phases. I fell in love with it and thought it fit my user name, which was the name of an ancestor.