Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Priority Mail game

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    Yes, they will get us only once and then we will have learned our lesson. I went through all of my boxes at home and NONE of them said flat rate. I will turn all of those inside out and use their "free" cardboard to mail other packages...just not priority mail.
    Kathy, check the insides of those boxes. A lot of them now say Priority all over the inside so that you have to use Priority postage AARGGGHH

When we sold on Ebay. I was told at the PO that the Priority boxes belong to the USPS & are for us to use only for Priority mailings. ( Priority & Flat Rate Priority) They also have different ones for Priority but you know what I mean. You do have to watch the boxes though as far as for Flat Rate & make sure it says Flat Rate on it if that is what you want.

I learned something from you today. I didn't realize that. I'll have to look closer before mailing.

Blog Entries
    Last year I mailed 3 collectors hockey cards, in a bubble envelope to a friend. Paid the fee.
    The next day I mailed EXACTLY the same package at a different post outlet and the fee was 28cents more.
    I asked why.
    The postie said it didn't fit through the "slot device."
    Huh?
    They actually have a plastic board with a slot cut out of it. If your envelope doesn't slide through without help, it's "oversized" and you pay more.
    Glad the first post office doesn't use the envelope police.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Yes, they will get us only once and then we will have learned our lesson. I went through all of my boxes at home and NONE of them said flat rate. I will turn all of those inside out and use their "free" cardboard to mail other packages...just not priority mail.
    Just so you know, I believe that is illegal. All of the priority boxes I have seen lately, flat rate and otherwise, have priority mail printed on the inside too to keep people from doing this.
    I think nowadays the boxes might have logos on the inside, but they did not used to.
    I have re-used envelopes and boxes over and over, even turned them wrong side out to use the clean inner surfaces.

When mailed, the postage is still paid, whether for the first time on the envelope/box, or the third or fourth time on the same envelop/box.
    In fact, it saves paper to reuse the envelopes/boxes.

I see no problem in this.

Are they doing that also with the priority mail envelopes?

I filled an envelope and asked my husband to mail it for me...and when he got back, he told me that it cost about the same a a medium box rather than the $4.95. I never did find out why...now perhaps, this might be the reason.

Thanks for the info, I will have to check more carefully in the future.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The flat rate envelope and flat rate box that are the same price are not the same as far as what they hold. The small flat-rate box is tiny!! I can fit a lot more in a flat rate envelope. I use lots of tape b/c the post office goes nuts when we aren't looking :)
    Seriously though, the machines do some of the damage.

Have you looked inside the boxes.some of them are all printed on the inside...have to then cover it with paper.......
    they will get you whatever way the can !!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    wow! thanks for that info, I sure wouldn't have noticed either!

Blog Entries
    I've got a in. My BIL works a the post office at the window so I just make sure I get him and he tries to do it the cheapest way.

Well isn't that just sneaky. I guess they really do do anything to make an extra dime

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Last year I mailed 3 collectors hockey cards, in a bubble envelope to a friend. Paid the fee.
    The next day I mailed EXACTLY the same package at a different post outlet and the fee was 28cents more.
    I asked why.
    The postie said it didn't fit through the "slot device."
    Huh?
    They actually have a plastic board with a slot cut out of it. If your envelope doesn't slide through without help, it's "oversized" and you pay more.
    Glad the first post office doesn't use the envelope police.
    THere are 3 rates for first class mail
    Letter - up to 3.5 ounces, no more than 1/4 inch thick, letter shape and smaller size
    Flat - up to 13 ounces, no more than 3/4" thick, flexible and uniform thickness (not lumpy)
    Parcel - up to 13 ounces, everything else.

Parcel is the only FC service that you can get Delivery Confirmation on.

So it's not the envelope police, they all have the "slot" device to see if it is eligible for the letter rate.

The days of just throwing a few extra stamps on the envelope are over.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr

I filled an envelope and asked my husband to mail it for me...and when he got back, he told me that it cost about the same a a medium box rather than the $4.95. I never did find out why...now perhaps, this might be the reason.

Also, it is confusing because there are 2 kinds of PM envelopes - the FLat Rate, which is cardboard, and the Tyvek envelope, which holds more but is NOT flat rate.

Also the "medium" priority box versus the "medium" flat rate is much different in size. I had to ship something, had it all packed in the box and had already printed my shipping and postage. Then realized I didn't have the correct flat rate box. Took tape, marker and open box to Post Office to swap out boxes and that's when I realized the size was so different. I had to leave items out of the box and really squeezed and tape, tape, tape just to get it to fit.

Blog Entries
    You guys....I'm sorry to see ya'll bashing the USPS...have you tried driving even just across town, let alone across the country to deliver something and been able to do it for $.44? Can you drive from your home in the US to anywhere in Europe to deliver something for what it costs to mail something there? I know they offer a lot of options and it can be confusing, but did you stop to consider that the number of options are not to get more money out of you, but to find ways to send your stuff less expensively?

Why is it that we all tend to immediately jump to the negative side of something when actually we are the ones in the wrong? The USPS provides us with boxes to ship things in...they only ask that we use their particular services when we use them. And then we get mad at USPS when we try to cheat? Something doesn't seem right to me about that. Ladies...we all need to play by the rules and if you don't know the rules, you need to ask. Thats just MHO.

Well, I hate to add another monkey in the pile, BUT, do not take your flat rate boxes to the stand alone shipping office(s) that "offer" USPS mailing. They are not required by any law to mail it at that rate.
    I took a flat rate box to one of them to mail to my USAF son stationed in Hawaii on a Saturday. It was a flat rate of the $10.70 size. When he quoted me over $30.00 to mail it I about fainted. When I asked why that much, he said they did not need to follow that rate. I told him I loved the son, but not that much & took it to the P.O on Monday. I also confirmed that statement with the Mail lady on Monday.
    Unless the site is an authorized USPS site, they will charge you for the weight and size of the box, and not for the Flat Rate.
    And, yes, I have also been caught by the same size, not flat rate marked boxes.

Happy Quilting,
    SUsan

Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    Well, good information. I had a mix on one of my mailings a while back, too. But, I'm not astute enough to figure things out.

Thanks, Ruth
    Hey, you can spell astute.

I don't think we are bashing, but maybe I just see this differently. All I was saying is that all the sizes and rates and shipping rules can get very confusing. I can only speak for myself, but I have always said that the post office doesn't charge enough for their service. I am very aware of the cost of shipping all around the world and we really have it made here. Perhaps if we paid more for the service, the employees could make more money and they might even hire a few more people for the incredible volume of mail that travels this country and the globe.

I agree, the rules can be so confusing even the PO clerks can't always keep up with them.
    I have heard of clerks refusing a stuffed Flat Rate Envelope because "It's not flat.". Sometimes I think they make up the rules as they go along. HAve you ever seen the DMM, DOmestic Mail Manual (rule book) -- it is HUGE!!

But let me say in general I LOVE the P.O. and all the clerks who work there.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr

Also, it is confusing because there are 2 kinds of PM envelopes - the FLat Rate, which is cardboard, and the Tyvek envelope, which holds more but is NOT flat rate.

oops, sent the above out before I wrote anything...!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on those envelopes......I will be more conscious of that when I pick them up the next time.

What you need to check are the words "our government", since when is the postal service our government? It is a private corporation using the title of US Postal service. Check it out along with the rates

I appreciate all of the above information. I don't really use the flat rate boxes because I do over fill them. I use my small food scale and weigh my package and then go to the computer, enter the needed information and then print out the label with the correct postage. FYI, The USPO gives you the amount you save by using your computer. I like the service because I can stay at home and have the package picked up from my mailbox. Works for me and I too, believe the USPO does need the appropriate postage.

My Secret Pal packaged was returned by the post office. I had to take it inside to remail and they ask for an additional $1.05 for the small flat rate box. I questioned why the flat rate box that should be $4.95 would need an additional $1.05. She said I was not using a "flat rate" box. I said yes I was, that I had gotten it from the post office and it is what I always used to mail my packages......well here is the catch. The post office had some printed with the words "small flat rate" and some without those words. The boxes are identical in all other ways. I happened to get one without the words which allows them to charge whatever postage they want. So folks....check your boxes carefully. Its so hard to believe our government would cheat us like that.....hahahaha
    I had a similar experience at the Post Office. I thought there was only 1 small Priority Mail box so I went in and asked for one. I got it home and it was smaller than the ones I had used before. I had to go to the Post Office so I asked why they made the boxes smaller. I found out that there are about three sizes. The really small one is Flat Rate ($4.95) and the other two sizes are Priority Mail which goes by the weight. Does the Post Office do this to confuse us?

You are correct, USPS is not run by the Fed Government. It is a business, and has to make a profit. One item to share regarding priority mail. The delivery date of 2-3 days is only a best hope; it is NOT a guarantee. I learned this when I sent a package to one of my sons. It took over a week to get to him. When I complained, I was told that Priority is not an absolute delivery date. At that point, I stopped paying for priority delivery and started using the delivery guarantee. For $.85 for any size package or letter, you can have a postcard sent to you telling you that your item was delivered. My packages still arrive in about the same amount of time that they did with priority delivery.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast