Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which purse interfacing? Any interfacing for grocery type bags? >

Which purse interfacing? Any interfacing for grocery type bags?

Which purse interfacing? Any interfacing for grocery type bags?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:29 AM

Default Which purse interfacing? Any interfacing for grocery type bags?

I've read many of the posts about handbags (purses) and am totally lost about which is the best interfacing to use, so I'd like to hear your suggestions. Also, I'll be making simple bags for groceries and am wondering if those should have interfacing or not. They'll be washed a lot and aren't expected to have much form. So what do you do?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 AM

For purses I usually follow the pattern suggestion. It depends on what purse you are making but a lot of mine use fusible fleece. For the grocery bags I do not interface but I do overcast/zig-zag my seams. Have fun
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 AM

For bags that I have been making, similar to bowtucks, I use pellon 973F or 971F....I have found that the quilting will help to stiffen the bag a bit, but still be soft
Old 12-31-2013, 06:44 AM

I have the Must Have Tote Bag Pattern from Crafty Gemini and it doesn't require any interfacing. It is made with decorator cotton which is a little heavier than quilting cotton and you could probably use canvas or outdoor fabric to make it, as well. Here is a link to the pattern https://www.robora.com/s/7Neu5nV. The pattern only costs $3.00 and it comes with a video tutorial. I learned french seams with this one.

As far as purses go, I have made the bow tuck and it uses fusible fleece to give the purse body. I have also made a Debbie Shore purse that called for heavyweight interfacing. Debbie Shore has free sewing tutorials on Youtube.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I have been making grocery bags for a couple of years. I don't need to use any interfacing. My friend found the pattern for free online.
Attached Thumbnails dog-tote.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

When I want a really heavy bag, I use Long creek Mills' "Stiffy" (now get your head out of the gutter). You can't beat the price. I usually order a 35 yard roll. Very similar to timtex, but without the price
http://www.longcreekmills.com/product/stabilizer3.html
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM

For purses I love Soft and Stable. It doesn't have to be quilted and gives them a great body that lets them stand up instead of collapse. I use it for the Mini Bow Tucks and really like how they turn out.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
QM
Power Poster

Years ago, my father brought home an entire dumpster load of good quality poly /cotton jacket fabric strips. Mom and I made about 200 shopping bags in various colored stripes of fabric, and sold them to benefit our church. These were unlined with no interfacing. 55 years later, my son complained that his 5 ("borrowed" from me) had just given out. If you need ones that stand, use interfacing. If not, don't bother.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Thanks for all the help on this. I really wanted to hear what the experts on QB used. I think I'll be able to go from here. Paper Princess, I'm sure glad I didn't have a mouthful of tea when I read your post, or that tea would've been through my nose and all over the room! Thanks for the laugh! You all get kudos for helping. :-)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

For grocery type totes I use left over batting and quilt the bag before lining it. Makes a nice tote.