Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG Isn't Hard! >

QAYG Isn't Hard!

QAYG Isn't Hard!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
Humbird, did I remember correctly? We're talking 35 years ago. Describe the process? I was a remedial reading/math instructor and a Girl Scout leader, so explaining how to do something isn't difficult.
LOL!! I do think you remembered correctly. It must have been that long ago that I did my first Log Cabin using this method. I also did a Snails Trail, and more recently, a Stack&Whack. (which is still begging for a border) I think you can do most any block with this method.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:36 AM
mac

I'm all for QAYG, but haven't done it for a very long time. I remember when I did do it, it was tedious. Anyone have the least tedious way to do it?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Ooooh - I only know about the method using strips to cover the back seams and would love to know about easier methods. That's the only reason I haven't done a QAYG.
I just watched Jera Brandvig on the Fat Quarter Shop You Tube Channel and bought her books "Quilt As You Go: Made Vintage" and "Quilt As You Go: Made Modern". I am excited to try her methods.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM

cranberry, please report back!

Watson
Old 10-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Watson, sounds like a you had a wonderful in-depth class. Was the instructor anyone we would know? Was it sponsored through your LQS? We would love to see a photo of your dog bed.

Cranberry, we look forward to hearing about your QAYG class experience. I have not yet tackled one.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 PM

The Jera Brandvig workshop was good, not great. A lot of pushing the books. The only example that we actually worked on was with the top sewn directly onto the batting, plus any extra quilting design wanted on it. Then those blocks were sewn together with a 1/4 inch seam. Then the back is whole cloth, stitch in the ditch.

Her other two methods which we did not do in the class are to join the top blocks with strips, but back is still attached via stitch in the ditch. The other is that both front and back are attached with strips so that the back has a sort of checkerboard look. She didn't show how to do it, rather pushed us to her new book which teaches all three methods (the first book only teaches the first two methods.) So, unfortunately I have no idea how either one with the strips actually works. We thought we were going to be taught all three, so that was kind of disappointing.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I just finished the last class of my Westalee Rulers series last night and it was putting together all your sampler pieces. I was worried because I'd never done QAYG. In fact, I had avoided it as it looked difficult.
It wasn't hard at all!
I'll be using this technique more from now on!

Watson
Right! I find it the easiest way to quilt a quilt.