Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Crayon Ultra Washable Markers

Question about Crayon Ultra Washable Markers

I have read the many testimonials on the Board about how great these are to use for marking. I have bought a pack and wondered if it matters which color I use. Is one color better than the other or do they all wash out equally?

Interesting question, look forward to other's answers. I have only been brave enough to try the purple on 2 quilts and it washed out perfectly.

I marked a white piece of cotton fabric with all the colors and then ironed it. All the colors came out when I washed it. Someone told me Amazon sells the Ultra by color in packages. Some colors I don't use so being able to buy all blue would be nice.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    A couple of years ago, I gave the markers a try through an experiment. I took yellow T shirts and drew a detailed logo on the back of each with the black marker filling in the spaces. The design was as large as a piece of paper. After we used the shirts once for a skit, I washed them with no special treatment. Poof all the black was gone...not a smidgen of color showed. My biggest regret....I didn't save the design...it was a clever idea if I do say so myself.

I did wash the shirts before coloring.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I marked a white piece of cotton fabric with all the colors and then ironed it. All the colors came out when I washed it. Someone told me Amazon sells the Ultra by color in packages. Some colors I don't use so being able to buy all blue would be nice.
    Aren't you sensible? I just went ahead and marked blue on blue for a 'trial' on the quilt I'm working. Your way sounds so much better!
    Singer 301 (Zsuzsi), Janome DC1050, Brother XR3140 -when did THAT happen?!

I did the same thing..I marked 2 pieces of white muslin with all of the colors, and ironed 1..then let them sit for a week. I washed them and they all came out white without a trace of color anywhere. My new bestie LOL

Always pays to do a small test on your own fabric. I do. I've never had a problem with them.
    Alyce

Power Poster
    ​I would test on some scraps. I wonder if white on white fabrics might react differently?

I haven't tried every color but have had good luck with the colors I have used. I have read some reports of some people having a bit of difficulty with the orange.

I love them! I have never had any problems with them not washing out. Try them you won't be sorry

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have used the blue and the green on my own stuff with no problem. But I used the green on a friend's baby quilt and it would Not wash out! After many panicky attempts to get it out with water, with spot cleaning with blue Dawn, I finally called the friend and explained and asked if I could wash it in the washer. I had already quilted it and made sure that the edges where sewn down and then stuck in the washer. I took 3 washings with Grandma's Stain stick being the final effort that got it out. I do not know what was happening with it--but she did tell me later than she had starched the fabric first. Won't use again .
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-10-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I have used the blue and the green on my own stuff with no problem. But I used the green on a friend's baby quilt and it would Not wash out! After many panicky attempts to get it out with water, with spot cleaning with blue Dawn, I finally called the friend and explained and asked if I could wash it in the washer. I had already quilted it and made sure that the edges where sewn down and then stuck in the washer. I took 3 washings with Grandma's Stain stick being the final effort that got it out. I do not know what was happening with it--but she did tell me later than she had starched the fabric first. Won't use again .
    Good to know. I'm a starcher. I usually stick with Sewline pencil (white and black only).
    If I had to use a colored marker of any kind I would test first.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-10-2019 at 02:45 AM.

I did a test, and the blue was the only one that washed out completely. I may have only hand washed it, though, and not machine washed it. I'll do another test one of these days.

Blog Entries
    I have used Crayola's fine tip washable markers on light muslin fabric, marking quilting lines in blue, purple, gray, and yellow. (There are many more colors in the pack which I have not yet used). I have had no problems getting any of them washed out. Yeah!
    Mavis

I did have a small problems with a green one...one tiny part about a quarter of an inch long refused to wash out. Otherwise I love these markers! Going to check out Amazon to check out a one color pack.

I used the color closest to the fabric, just different enough to see.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

for something cheaper and less stressful - sharpen a bar of soap to a point (good use of used bars) and use the soap to mark - comes out of all fabrics when washed.
    Kate

I've had success with all of the colors I've used. I can see that some fabrics might react differently so I'm suggesting for a person to test marks on the scraps of the fabric you intend to mark to be certain which colors will wash out of that particular fabric.

Blog Entries
    I purchased 2 packages on Amazon a few months ago and have been using them successfully since. I have had no residue that comes back as I have read in other places. In fact am using one this morning. I think they are great no matter what color you are using. The white against a dark color is sometimes more difficult to see but it does work and does the job well.

If fabric isn't washed first then the color may interact with a chemical in some fabrics to make it hard to wash away. Always test on a scrap of the same fabric first.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I started using these for marking when using my rulers and have found they do wash out. I always color test on a scrap of fabric I am using to make sure it will come out but have had no problems so far. I did find that the red and orange markers are a little harder to remove (requires 2 wash cycles) but they did come out. The biggest problem I have had is if you rest marker on fabric to firmly it will saturate more color into fabric so I have learned to have a light touch and not let marker rest on fabric even for a nano second.

I have used the markers for a long time. Love them. Since I wash my quilts, I have never had a problem. But, along with the All-free detergent I add some Oxy Clean. Marks come out every time.

I have been using them for about 2 years now. I iron, starch, use hairspray when I am using the pounce chalk in some places ... markers in other places - all on the same quilt … leave for weeks on end, and they always wash out. I have used them on cotton, silk and denim … never had a problem.

Wow! Thanks for all the input. Sounds like by and large all the colors will work. Can't wait to try them

I love them. When I first start cutting out a project I cut a square of each fabric I am using and mark all the colors on it. And I use a very heavy touch, sometimes going over each line several times. I leave that on my ironing board, and when I am pressing blocks I press that square. It’s not unusual for it to get pressed 20 - 30 times. I wait until I am ready to mark my quilt before I wash the marked squares. I never prewash fabric and I always wash my quilts when finished. Using this square shows me what I can see best on the fabrics and which one washes out the best. Usually the only problem I have is deciding which one I see best. This method also lets me change markers for the different fabrics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast