Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question about matching seams...

Kathy... you do not know how happy this makes me to hear

PS we returned from Texas on Tuesday ...lovely visit with family.....very high humidity....can home to 112 degree Dry Heat... but still hot.
    Judy in Phx, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    that's exactly how I do it

Blog Entries
    I was always told not to press seams open when making a quilt. I was told the seams are not as strong when pressed open. So, I never even tried it. For those of you who do press seams open, have you had any issues with quilts that ar used and washed a lot?
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Right now I'm having a similar problem with a D4P, and whenever I can, I switch one of the seams back the other way so it will nest. It's annoying to have to do this, but usually a little pressing stick is all that's needed. So far I haven't found any on a D4P that couldn't be done this way. On the D9P there may be a difference. If you can work out where the problem is going to occur, maybe you can decide to just press just those seams open.

I have better luck with nesting seams because I avoid pinning whenever I can - just me. Whether to press open or not also depends on what you're planning to do with the quilt. If it's going to get a lot of use and washing, open seams are not as strong because there's nothing between the two pieces except the thread.

However, Bonnie Hunter, who makes lots of strip pieced quilts, says on Quiltville somewhere that she presses hers open. That's enough of a reason to do it that way, as far as I'm concerned. I love her work!

I press all my seams open, and have never had a problem with wear and tear. Of course, I use a very short stitch while piecing, and I'm careful to press the seam closed (to bury the stitch), and then press them open. When doing stitch-in-the-ditch, I will also fortify with a stitch on one or the other side, or both, or some echo stitching. Just my way. A little extra quilting and pinning is worth it to me to have my points line up. To each her/his own!
    MacThayer

Thanks for the tip Judy, we all seem to have the same problem. I will try your fix on my next quilt. Mary
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I did my DP9 there were no seams to match. That's the beauty of the DP9 for me. As for the rows, I always press in alternating directions. That way the rows nest into each other.

Blog Entries
    Open seam presser here too. So much easier and no fold over bulk.
    Got fabric?

I was told not to press seams open when making a quilt. They said it's stronger to press them to one side. Not sure which way is correct now, lol

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynJ View Post
    I usually try to press all of my seams open when possible and if my seam is off (I know they are) I just try to hold the pieces until they are as lined up as possible (some never will be) and just pass it really slowly through my sewing machine. Just remember quilting is fun and if someone wanted perfection hand made is not the way to go. LOL
    That does make to easier but be sure to use good thread. The thread will have to take the full stress of holding the entire quilt together.

Blog Entries
    I haven't done the D9P, but imagine lots of seams intersecting. I learned never, ever to press open on quilts;that's for clothing. BUT, reading this Board, it seems many do press open adn don't have trouble. Recently my LQS offered a class that had us making a bazillion (not really, but seemed like it) pinwheels. All stitched to one another. Mega seam time, so I did press the seams open between the rows to help it lay flat. Rules were made to be broken, right?
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Very good information here.

Quote Originally Posted by kd7kyo View Post
    the way i have heard how to fix and get seams to nest is on the 9 patch you iron the seams to go to the left of the line and then next row goes to the right. and then flips when you put the block together the seams will "lock" or "nest" into place.

Another way that is gaining popularity is pressing them open. I used to do this and had great results. but my dear old mentor at quilting lectured me in the not to press open.
    I agree and do the same. I was told from day one in learning quilting that to open the seams weakens the quilt at those seams and could cause them to come apart over time.
    But, as always, we do what we think is best for us...it is our creation after all

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    When I did my DP9 there were no seams to match. That's the beauty of the DP9 for me. As for the rows, I always press in alternating directions. That way the rows nest into each other.
    I just finished a full DP9 and also had no seams to match, and did the same things with the rows.

I, too, iron it the right way so it nests, and then clip it. It shouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but it does. I prefer to iron the seams to the side. I learned that way, because of polyester batting working its way through the seam line. However, I use mostly cotton batting now, so could press them open. I might have to have a new learning curve!
    Anita in Northfield, MN

I am going to try pressing my seams open next. I started out that way and was told it was wrong. But I see alot of you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    I sometimes have that problem too. I really try to plan out how I press my seams so that I get nesting seams. But when that doesn't work out so well, I usually choose to flip one seam in the opposing direction and finger press, then pin. However, after more reading about everyone's preferences regarding pressing the seams to one side or open - I am seriously considering trying out open on my next quilt.

I agree with Dawn, and will "flip" one seam to make it nest. I find that the batting underneath takes care of the flip in the seam, and I'm happy with the line-up of the seam, which is my first priority.
    Connie
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by anita211 View Post
    I, too, iron it the right way so it nests, and then clip it. It shouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but it does. I prefer to iron the seams to the side. I learned that way, because of polyester batting working its way through the seam line. However, I use mostly cotton batting now, so could press them open. I might have to have a new learning curve!
    Who would have thought the batting used would make a difference on whether to press open or to one side. I'm in the process of starting to piece a quilt--any comments on pressing the seams open when using cotton batting?

I watched a tut a while back in which the lady said just to flip them how you want them. They won't show on the right side anyway and no one will know.

WOW! A real life person who admits seams are sometimes off and that handmade isn't ever going to be perfect. I need to know more quilters like you. By the way, I'm just up the road from you, in Sherman. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by EvelynJ View Post
    I usually try to press all of my seams open when possible and if my seam is off (I know they are) I just try to hold the pieces until they are as lined up as possible (some never will be) and just pass it really slowly through my sewing machine. Just remember quilting is fun and if someone wanted perfection hand made is not the way to go. LOL

Some time ago, a magazine asked a panel of famous quilters the question of whether to press seams open or not. They were about evenly divided on their preference. So there is no "right" answer. These replies give good reasons for whatever choice you woud want to make. Or try several and see how you like them!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Back up 6 feet or so. Can you still see it? If you can't, then don't worry about it so much.
    Ha Ha, good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by babalu View Post
    I am about 1/3 of the way through piecing a Disappearing 9 Patch top. When I sewed the original 9 patches together, I pressed the seams to one side. Now that I am mixing up the individual squares, I find that sometimes I must sew two patches together where both are pressesd to the same side. I am having a hard time matching those seams accurately! Does anyone have a 'trick' for matching these seams? Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Press all your seams open and it will be a snap to match them.

I am doing a Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt Also. When I watched the Missouri Quilt Video it showed laying out your fabric with the boldest fabric being on the end. After cutting them in half diagonally and horizontaly, you don't have to match seems. If you wanted to arrange the fabric differently I would press my seams open and pin. Hope this helps.

If you press the seams open, do you still set your machine for a scant 1/4 inch?

Blog Entries
    Here are several methods I use that work for me:
    1. I sew a few stitches right at the point where they need to meet. If they are oK, then I sew the whole seam, if not I pull them out and try again.
    2. I use elmer's school glue to match the seams, press it with a hot iron, then sew the seam
    3. I use the fork pins to hold the seams together on either side--you can see them here:
    http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/it...l.pl?item=C240

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast