Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about quilt shop offerings...

Question about quilt shop offerings...

If your local quilt shop offers a "sit and sew" or an event where you can work on finishing a UFO, what name do they call this activity? is it free? and how often does it occur?

my favorite LQS does do a sit and sew. And that is exactly what she calls it, a sit and sew. She usually charges about three dollars to cover the cost of electricity. But she is always there to give a hand if you need some help with something. she usually has a sit and sew
    about 3 to 4 times a month.
    I belong to a sewing group that meets at the LQS once a month. the owner seems to be a part of our group now. She joins us every month.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

My LQS has a few different ones, one is friday night fever and they provide dinner and it cost $20. The other is called BYOP sit and sew and its free on Wednesdays.
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

Blog Entries
    Ours also has a 'finish your UFO'. It's more targeted at folks who get to a point in a project then cannot finish because they can't figure the pattern out. There's an instructor who works with you, and it's $15.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

One shop has a charity sit and sew, and that is free. There is also a $5 sit and sew where help or advice is available. I think that charging for a sit and sew (other than the evening or all day "party" style events with food extras) kind of defeats the goal of developing a loyal base and comraderie. A goal most businesses have is to "get people in the shop." If you charge for that privilege, the shop doesn't feel so welcoming to me. When people are sewing in the shop, they often need supplies and purchase them convenienty right there.

An alternative to charging a fee might be to have a collection jar or expected fee to be donated to a local quilt related charity. The shop would be passing up an opportunity to collect money for itself, but it would create a lot of goodwill.

Dayle

My LQS is always busy with classes. Whenever I've needed help or just general oversight in case a question came up I just arranged a time to come in and they have a machine ready for me. There are always ladies who need extra guidance with a technique and they are always welcome but there has never been a specific time set up for UFO's. That would be kind of fun and I wouldn't mind paying a fee and making a day of it. I love seeing everyone's projects anyway. Maybe I should suggest the idea to them...

There is one shop here that I know of that has sit and sews one day a week. It is free.

At my LQS, you can use their large workroom upstairs (with prior notification) at any time there's no class or event scheduled. There's a ton of room and lots of tables that can be moved for sandwiching quilts, etc. It gets you away from phones and other interruptions so you can totally concentrate on your project if that's what you need, or it's fun to go with a friend and sew for a few hours in neutral territory. You bring your own machine, etc and it's solo work, not a formal group or class with advice available. The rate is $5 per hour per person.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Our shop has one sunday a month called Sew Far Behind. It's $15 for the day but it's a day the shop is closed and one of the class instructors is there for the day to help people. Usually the people who go are ones that took a class during the season, didn't finish, can't remember what to do next, etc. So having one of the shop instructors there is wonderful.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Each LQS seems to have their own name. Some charge and others are minimal fee only. Ask your LQS if they have such a thing, and if they don't they may well start one. It is good for business. Happy quilters buy a heck of a lot more.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

We have two local shops; one offers free time to come and finish; the other charges and makes a class out of it.

Some charge some don't, your best bet is to call the LQS and see if they have a session that is just for working on your own project and if they charge. The ones that do charge for this type in my area the fee is fairly small, in comparison to regular classes.

Hello, my friend YukonViv: Is winter winding down in the Yukon's? We had a beautiful day yesterday; but, today it is very chilly & rainy......Come on Spring........or Summer. Is everyone at your house doing okay health wise ? Sure would like to make one more Alaskan trip------- sometimes we just take off at ramdone never know where to---so if that happens I will call you from Whitehorse so we can have coffee & chat and the fabric store is in Whitehorse correct.....we will go there for sure. Told Bill I would like to come back in 2014 we will see.
    You take care Ms. Vivian

Lana
    the Quilting Dreamer
    Lansing, MI

One of our local shops used to offer a Finish it Friday once or twice a month. Another shop used to have them weekly and a class fee was charged. I didn't do either. Instead, a group of us started getting together for free at the local library. People bring along whatever they want, chat & share ideas. Everyone is welcome.

We've found that sometimes there are great, nice quilters who have been put off by a quilt shop for one reason or another. If people are interested in giving the local shop a second chance, at least one of us will offer to meet up so they feel more comfortable.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    LQS has a once a month Friday Free Sew. You pay $5.00 and they order pizza, provide snacks & drinks. Open tilll midnight? Bring anything you want to work on and if you have a problem they help you out. Six to eight people are always there and you meet lots of new friends, learn a lot and get some piecing done with lots of laughs mixed in.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

The LQS I shop at and take many classes at, offer this every so often. As I belonged to monthly groups (2) and took classes as well as an occasional sew over-nighter. I went to a Free Open Sewing, I planned to sandwich my quilt top as I did not have a large enough table. One of the "main" clerk walked by and stated "Why didn't you just stay home and do that".... Yes you may have quessed, I no long take classes or belong to the monthly groups...I do shop there ocassionaly, however they have lost the major portion of my business. PS I also purchased my Bernina from this shop.
    I too believe as AliKat just stated Happy quilters buy a heck of a lot more.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Blog Entries
    We have a couple of shops here that do this, one is at night and one has the whole day every Friday and then there is normally at least once a month at night. They don't charge. Once in a while there is an all day and even all weekend, where you come and go as you please and I think the charge is around 20 for that.
    Judy

Every shop probably has it's own name for something like that. Some shops charge, some do not. Some may only do it for part of a day instead of a whole day. Some may charge, but include a meal, or offer a discount. It is a good idea.

Blog Entries
    I wish I could find something around my house. All the fellowship sounds like a blast!!
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Blog Entries
    M not so LQS (45 minutes away), has a UFO evening monthly with a fee, and a UFO day with pot luck lunch less often fee for that too. I have no issues about paying a fee. They are supplying the space, tables, irons some other tools, including rulers, cutting mats etc. Electricity is not inexpensive.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Most of the shops around here do it. When it is during normal hours and you are just using their space, it is generally free. If it is an evening or weekend and a person there to help, I think it's about $10, which seems fair enough if you need help plus you are using their irons,etc. I have done it a couple times but I generally get more done on my own,

Blog Entries
    We have once a month Fabric Therapy - but my husband likes to call it Stitch and __itch. Sorry, guess the capital "B" on my machine isn't working! It's costs ten dollars and you get pizza and beverage and lots of fun.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

At least one of our local shops has this offering - I've never gone as I seem to get much more done on my own. I sew at least 4 days a week at home so get a lot done. When I want to socialize then I go to a guild work day for the company. Guess I'm more of a loner!

Blog Entries
    I live an hour away from a shop and thankfully my favorite shop has a UFO day - last Wednesday of the month from 10am to 10pm They serve us supper. They will answer our questions and offer help as needed. There is no charge and I can guarantee it comes back to them 10-fold in business. It is a great day that I hardly miss and I know several of the other ladies who feel the same.

A few months ago, I was whining that I wanted another day and my husband offered a building that he takes care of. (Masonic Lodge) We don't have the amenities as the LQS such as the fabric, thread, tools etc. but we are now doing an all-day sew (ADS) in my town. It has had a wonderful response. It goes from 9am to 10pm and I offer supper for $5 with husbands welcome to stop in.
    Nancy (Go Big Red)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Great things have been done for me,
    and I am filled with joy.

This is central California.
    If the open sew time is during regular work hours, some stores charge and others don't. We do use space, AC, tables, chairs, electricity, iron and board. If it's beyond regular business hours there's $10 chg as they also pay an employee to work those hours. She also helps with questions and sells merchandise. The stores allow eating on the premisis, but don't provide it. During group sew-ins, the space available for each participant may be limited to 1/2 or less of an 8ft table. Some stores have design wall space, others don't. Sewing projects need to be planned to stay within the space available. The space is being rented by the business to contribute to their business. They need to make a profit to stay in business.

Sometimes there are "finish with ____________" then there is a charge for the instructor.

Occasionally there is a "sew for charity" and there's no charge.

Most LQS have "down time" in their classroom space and will let patrons use it upon arrangement (may or maynot be a charge) to use large spaces for design or sandwich a quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast