Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares >

Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares

Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares

Old 05-13-2023, 07:52 AM

Default Question about Quilting Lines on Fleece Squares

Hi..I am making fleece squares (two pieces of fleece and one layer of thick(ish) batting and I am doing the turnaround method for a cat shelter. They told me how to sew it and I asked if I should sew a few quilting lines in the middle and they said no need to. I found that a little weird. My question is sewing two layers of fleece with one layer of batting and then turning inside out (the batting will be caught in the seam) would you think that would be enough without tacking down the center? I hope I am explaining it well. The shelter showed me some that they had and there were no quilting lines. I guess I was thinking over time would the batting separate. Attached is a picture of what I am talking about. The picture is actually showing a smaller version, what I am being asked to do is 26 inches by 11 inches. I am sure they are right but seems a little odd.

Just wondering what my fellow sewers think. Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails sunflower.jpg  
Old 05-13-2023, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Ordinarily I would say to quilt as the batting requires, which would probably mean more quilting lines. However in this case I would do what the shelter requested. They apparently have more experience with this particular item.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

PumpkinSundae ... Like Dunster I would follow their instructions, for the fabric/batting choices and construction as they have the knowledge and experience.

That being said, there'd be nothing wrong with your making a bunch for them, according to their instructions. Then finish one the way you think would be better. On delivery, show them your new style and discuss with them. They may say yes, great idea. They may say no, absolutely not. Or they may want to try one or two in your new style and then decide.

What needs to be remembered is that these are not for fancy fine-finished quilts but functional pieces, maybe one step above raw fabric. They may be washed endlessly, or it could be they are used for one cat and then tossed. And maybe too, they have never been shown anything different.

Good Luck!
Old 05-13-2023, 11:08 AM

The batting will separate and likely tear after repeated washing. May I suggest that you tack/tie the quilt strategically to reduce the risk of that happening?
Old 05-14-2023, 01:13 AM

PumpkinSundae, I have made hundreds of cat beds for our shelter. Mine are 16" square and I use fleece on front and back and cut up mattress pads for the batting. (A local thrift store gives them to me.) I stitch a swirl through the center to hold it together. I top stitch the edge closed and then just keep going and turn the pad in a circle and usually have two swirls through the center. They are washed frequently and hold up very well. Pads are used in the cages and some Foster Homes take them too. I'd try it both ways and see what works for you and what they like too.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I backed a quilt top with fleece and did not quilt it except around the edges. I had a deadline and the quilt had to be finished the next day for a show. I promised to enter a quilt so I did. I got more votes then I expected. The pattern and fabric choices were what the public saw, most probably didn't know it should be quilted. LOL It stayed together fine even after many washings. No where for the top and back to go except next to each other. In the wash it looked liked a balloon but went right back to normal.
My niece took it for a camping quilt after it was several years old. As far as I know she still has it.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-14-2023 at 08:09 AM.