Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about sewing machines.....

Does anyone know of a machine that has a large throat space with alot of stitch designs? Brother came out with a quilting long arm but only straight stitch. Thanks :thumbup:

Sue

The Bernina new 830....but it really is mega bucks :thumbdown:

Husqvarna Viking Sapphire line has the wider opening but, again, its mucho bucks for the latest ($2,000 region). I've learned from my LQS that, for another $1000 or so, I could have bought some kind of longarm (no bells & whistles). I should have done more homework!

Janome Horizon has almost all the great features of the Bernina 820 (see that I said almost) and is only a fraction of the cost. It has 11 inches throat space.

Janome's new Horizon. Around $3k. Don't know what price point you're looking at. Check out the Janome site www.janome.com. The Horizon has an 11" throat. I have the Janome 6600 and it has a 9" throat.

Just remembered, Brother just came out with a new machine. I believe its Laura Ashley Limited Edition. Has a ton of stitches, but I have no idea what the throat size is or the cost.

Pfaff has a couple. The Creative Vision costs megabucks, but the other one Creative 4.0 is not quite so much. I love my Pfaff because of the built in even feed.

Elna has a couple out also.

I chose a Brother QC 1000 and I love it. It has a larger throat plate and a very very large number of stitches......however, it is expensive.....but I bought it on the 1 year free financing plan...not so bad then.

Quote Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Elna has a couple out also.
    I have the Elna 6700. I love it.

Looking for another machine that has more. Not sure of how much I want to spend yet.

Thanks for all your responses!!! Information is really helpful.:)

Quote Originally Posted by jackkip
    I'm curious, how much is it?

I have the Janome 6600P and I love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Husqvarna Viking Sapphire line has the wider opening but, again, its mucho bucks for the latest ($2,000 region). I've learned from my LQS that, for another $1000 or so, I could have bought some kind of longarm (no bells & whistles). I should have done more homework!
    You can get the Sapphire 835 much less than that. I've seen them on sale for around $1000. I paid $899 last year for the Sapphire 830. There are 3 models of Sapphire this years model numbers are 835, 855, 875. You will pay more for the 855, 875 models because they have more features. Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra for the 855 & 875. I wouldn't use all of the features anyway. I'd rather spend the difference on fabric! I'd ask if new models are coming out soon. You could get a great deal on these this time of year.

Love my 830 by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraA
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkip
    I'm curious, how much is it?
    The Bernina 830 has an embroidery module and it sells for about $10,000 . The 820 is the same machine without the embroidery and I saw it recently for $7900. The price has come down a bit but way too slow. The bobbin is a lot bigger, but it still doesn't let you know when is running out.

It truly amazes me that a sewing machine can cost that much money!! :thumbdown:

We are all just ordinary people.... not millionares!

I just purchased a Brother 1500S for around $800. I love this machine! I have several other machines with a lot of stitches but I wanted one that was strictly straight stitch for quilting. It is a heavy duty machine with a 9x6 arm that I love. You can get a Janome MC7700QCP with an 11" arm for about $2500. That wasn't in my budget. It depends on your budget and what you want to use it for.

I had looked at getting the bernina 830. I was really getting into fmq and was just longing for more throat area. My dh had said we could swing it, but only if knew that this would be the right one. So begn looking at what I wanted. I needed a machine with a large throat to make quilting easy. Didn't want
    The whole frame thing. So I finally bought the handi quilted sit-down version. I kept my current bernina 630. It has all the fancy stitches that a girl could ever need. The handi quilter is great to make large king-size quilts. So for me it is the best of both worlds and I am 6k ahead!