Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about use of batting >

Question about use of batting

Question about use of batting

Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 AM

Default Question about use of batting

have a finished quilt top that is a braid pattern, the colors are red, black and white. The backing is black and gray. I don't want the batting to show through the backing so I was planning to use a black batting. But I also don't want the black batting to show through the white on the top. So I've heard of people using two battings. If I used two battings what would I use? Two cotton/polyester battings one natural/white and one black? Use just one batting, but what to use that won't beard and show through the back? Does anybody have a suggestion I haven't thought of or mentioned? I would like to get quilting this soon, it was for my daughters wedding which happened in April 2012. So now I'm feeling more confident about quilting I'm ready to tackle quilting this quilt. I'm brand new to this forum so I'm hopeful I'll get some really good friends and great advice.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:38 AM

A white batting is not going to show through on the front or your back. I use white o off white all the time and have ever had a problem.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:00 AM

I agree with nabobw -- I use natural colored batts all the time with various colored fabrics -- including mainly white-on-white tops and mainly black backings and they don't show through. The reason to use black batting is, as you mentioned, because of bearding. Bearding isn't actually a problem with most batts anymore because they either are bonded or have a scrim. There are some batts that will beard with looser weave fabrics -- for example, my favorite batting, Warm & Plush, is only needle punched (no scrim, no bond) so with vintage/repro fabrics it will tend to beard some during the quilting process. However, even with W&P, by matching my needle & thread, and finishing by carefully washing the quilt (cold water, gentlest cycle, tumble dry low), I don't have problems after the initial quilting phase because that tiny bit of agitation & heat allow the cotton fibers to swell very slightly and then shrink to close up those holes. Washing/drying on hotter temps will weaken even the highest quality cotton fabric or thread, possibly allowing for bearding.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:07 AM
Banned

Unless your black fabric is paper-thin (and that is NOT a good thing) use the white.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

If you have a long arm, 2 batts will not be a problem. I have used regular 80/20 off white batt on a dark quilt and not had any problem with it showing.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I agree with using a white/natural colored batt. The only other issue that could possibly occur is if you use a batting with a right and wrong side and you put it wrong way up.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 AM

I would use a white batting. I use a lot of white in my quilt tops, and using white makes sure the white looks the best it can. It shouldn't be a problem for the back either.

Dina
Old 10-30-2016, 11:41 AM

White battings don't show through black fabric (unless it's thin, as previously stated).

The reason people use black batting is because sometimes battings will beard through the fabric. As Paper Princess said, as long as you put the batting right side up, it should be fine. Or, use a batting that doesn't have scrim. Quilter's Dream is quite lovely and I've never had it beard.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Different light-colored battings have different levels of transparency. Some white/natural battings will let a lot more of the dark backing to show through on the top. A black batting will dull down the white top a *lot*. If you really want white, I think Quilter's Dream white cotton batting in a medium or heavy weight will not allow shadowing. Warm and Natural will not allow shadowing either, but its natural color will change the color of white fabrics slightly. In other words, the batting can make white fabrics even whiter, or add a yellow/muslin tone to the whites.

If you are concerned about bearding on the back, using a black batting would help. However, then you need to be ultra-careful on which white batting you choose to use. I haven't tested, but I suspect that Hobbs 80/20 batting (one of my favorites) on top of a black batting would allow too much dulling of the whites on top. A bleached cotton batting that has been needle-punched is much denser and would probably work better to keep any of the black batting from shadowing through the white fabrics in the top. That's why, if you are going to layer, I would probably test out the QD cotton on top of the black batting.

The only way you are going to know for sure is to actually test the battings out on your top and backing. If you have any batting pieces on hand, try putting them between your top and backing to observe the effect on the whites in your top.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:57 PM

Also, if you make sure your needle is not causing any bearding, that will help.