Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on backing fabric directions??? >

Question on backing fabric directions???

Question on backing fabric directions???

Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Default Question on backing fabric directions???

Hello. I'm working on a bargello and want to use some of the leftover strips on the backing. In fact, want to use all the leftover fabrics for the backing. As the strips won't be long enough going vertical, I thought maybe I'd put them horizontal but I know one of my fabrics there is enough to go vertical. So my question is this, does all the fabrics need to go the same direction or can I put them whatever fits? I know the fabric stretches more one direction than the other but since our quilts have the blocks/fabric going all various ways, I thought it okay but wanted to ask you folks first.

I made the bargello pattern too wide so decided to put the extra strips onto the back along with the extra strips I cut at the 1st step.

Thanks again for any insight.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

You can create a backing any way you would like -- the more creative the better! There are no rules, be creative and use those left overs.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 AM

I use whatever I have however it fits best. Never had a problem.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

It should be fine. However, you should take into consideration whether it will be quilted on a domestic machine or on a frame. If on a frame, you typically do not want seams running from top to bottom because, as the quilt is rolled onto the takeup bar, those seams stack on top of each other and can distort the portion of the quilt still on the frame.

Also, I would press all of the seams open to reduce bulk. This makes it easier for the machine needle to make it through all the layers without skipping or other problems -- especially where a backing seam may be on top of a seam in the quilt top. In this case you might want to make the seam allowances a little more than 1/4" (maybe 3/8") so the backing isn't weakened. You also might want to take care with the type of batting used, choosing one that is unlikely to "beard" through the pressed-open seams.

Finally, I would heavily starch the backing before layering -- especially if quilting on a domestic sewing machine. This stabilizes the backing fabric so it is less likely to stretch or distort while you machine quilt, reducing the chances of puckers or tucks in the back. My preference is for a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, which is quite a heavy starch solution. If the quilt will be on a frame, I would lighten up this starch solution a little (maybe 1:2).
Old 01-10-2015, 06:03 PM

As a long armer i would have to disagree with pressing seams open as sometimes the batting can migrate through seams.
Just my opinion
Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 AM

Thanks to everyone with their comments. I thought it would be okay in what I want to do. I'll be quilting on a frame for this one though I haven't even gotten to that point with what pattern I'll use. I'm thinking of using an E2E to make life easier for me though. I'll make sure there are no multiple seams or at least as few as possible around the edges so they don't pop out on me when I put it onto the frame. Oh and yes, I heavily starched my fabrics before I started this bargello pattern. As some of my strips were only .75 wide I knew they would be problematic in keeping from stretching. So far its gone better than expected except that's its gotten much wider than I expected. So much for using the Bargello program though it was a big help to me.