Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question re Dear Jane and CD >

Question re Dear Jane and CD

Question re Dear Jane and CD

Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Default Question re Dear Jane and CD

Hello all, looking for some advice and input please. I have the Dear Jane book and I am planning to buy the Dear Jane CD to print paper piecing patterns.
Am I correct in assuming if I buy the CD I will be able to print my own PP patterns without having to own the quilting software program EQ?
If I do buy the CD, do I need the set of tools that is offered on line?
My friend and I are planning to work on this project together, she in Calgary and me in Ontario, with Skype conversations to share our progress with each other.
Any advice or input is appreciated, thank you!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM

The Dear Jane software is a stand alone program so you do not need EQ. I believe the tools are recommended but not a necessity. I bought the DJ software but haven't ventured any farther than loading it on my computer and looking around. What an awesome opportunity to virtual quilt with your friend!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Dear Jane CD allows you to print all the blocks. There are options in the software to alter the size of the blocks. When I did my " Janette", I changed the blocks from 4.5" to 6". I did the quilt along with my daughter and we printed the blocks onto 8.5"x11" mailing labels, cut out the pieces and stuck them to the fabric. Before you cut out the pieces, remember to add 1/4" seam allowance all around each piece.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM

What a clever idea with the labels.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

and there is a current sew along here on the QB at http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...n-t175669.html
it started a while ago, but it has lots of advice. feel free to join in the middle
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM

The ability to print the block patterns will help you immensely. I don't have the Jane software, so I have been drawing them in CAD software, which allows me to add seam allowances where needed. I use freezer paper for printing blocks with odd shaped pieces, ironing the pieces onto the fabric. I print on masking paper for paper piecing, because it is thin and removes easily.

My Jane would go much faster if I didn't have to draw the blocks first, but as an unemployed drafter, I enjoy the process.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am even more fired up now than I was!
I like the label printing idea too!
QuiltnNan, thank you for reminding me about the DJ quilt along, I have looked at it's string a few times. I may join in once I can actually say I am more than a "lurker" when it comes to DJ.