Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question regarding folded candle mats

Question regarding folded candle mats

I want to make some folded candle mats for Christmas gifts. Can anyone help me with information regarding the weight of fusible interfacing that works the best?

The folded candle mats are they the dresden plate type? If so what I have found is that they don't use light interfacing. It uses that pellon 71f. Its very stiff craft materials. I use alot of it for the bottoms of purses and freezer bags to keep them stiff. You should be able to find it at your local craft store.

No it would be the Origami type. You are right 71F is way to stiff to fold.

Here's a you tube that might help you. She used a medium weight fusible for hers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzGiC6SzelM

The one who does the patterns recommends the fuseable foam, but I think it leaves them too stiff.

Blog Entries
    I used the 71f for mine and it worked better than the foam in my opion

Blog Entries
    Do you mean the fold n' stitch wreaths? If so, I make and sell them and I prefer the lighter weight. I use 950 and it is light enough to easily turn and topstitch. It is also soft enough to fold the wreath away for storage. If crunched in storage, I simply steam them back in shape. If you wanted them a bit stiffer, you could use the 950 on both pieces. I originally tried a thicker one and it was just too difficult for small turns and too thick.

Thank You Ladies for all the suggestions. Headed into town tomorrow, will look at interfacings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
    No it would be the Origami type. You are right 71F is way to stiff to fold.
    I have used the 71 F in most of my wreaths and I like it best because the wreath keeps a nice crisp shape. The ones I made with a softer interfacing kind of sag a bit if they are handled too much. Yes, the 71F is a bit difficult to turn right side out, but I feel itís worth it in the end.
    The Easter version has 71F, and the Watermelon has the softer interfacing. You can see a slight difference between them in the pictures, as the watermelon has a softer look, but the Easter is much crisper. Maybe you should try a sample and see which way you like it. Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images