Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for those of you that FMQ >

Question for those of you that FMQ

Question for those of you that FMQ

Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Question for those of you that FMQ

I am going to be doing some FMQ'ing and I took a few classes that say to first do stitch in the ditch to every seam using bottom line thread. Then to the decorative FMQ'ing over all. How many of you do every seam first. Stitch in Ditch and do you really find there is a big difference. I also use 505 spray so it's very stable and fabric lays flat when I do the all over. I have 2 inch squares so hate to have to do every seam. I will if there is a big difference. So those who do this...Thoughts??
Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I've been free motion quilting for many years- I seldom stitch in the ditch before quilting-unless the top needs stabilizing- then I do what needs to be done to stabilize it
Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 AM

If I use the 505 spray would that do the same - stabilize it?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM

I rarely do stitch in the ditch.... I'm not perfect and any errors show badly. But I do love FMQing and I stitch pretty close together to stabilizing the quilt well. I do use the 505 spray as well but I don't spray heavily because I find that too much causes my needle to get sticky and misses a stitch or two.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM

I have done SITD for a quilting pattern - but not with my FMQ all over. Never heard anyone say you should do it in addition to a stipple or spirals, etc.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Thank-you! I did one last week and did the stitch in the ditch with just the batting and top. I did not want all those stitches to show on the back since I used Muslim. then when done put on the backing and did the FMQ'ing. It was a long all day process. It was a chevron quilt and I did every seam...every triangle.

Last edited by carolaug; 02-22-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 AM

I also have never heard that. If I do stitch in the ditch I feel like that is enough for me. I really do not like the quilting part and want to get it done as soon as I can. I usually do FMQ and it goes very well.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I was taught in the 80s BEFORE there were spray adhesive or fusible batting to do your ditch stitching first to prevent any shifting. I still do it by habit and I have never felt comfortable using spray adhesive. In the ditch doesn't mean every seam. If you look at my Avatar, I did diagonal stitching thru the 1.5" squares. I didn't ditch stitch anywhere on the quilt except for the border. I was careful to start in the middle and work my way out to each of the four corners. If you feel confident in doing it another way from the way they taught you, go ahead and try it out. If it works, then that is the only thing that really matters. Good Luck !!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM

in the lessons I have taken they say to do every seam...even if its a logcabin 1 inch strips...then when done do the FMQ'ing
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM

I have done SITD if that is what I wanted as part of the overall plan...but not just to stabilize it. That seems unnecessary and actually not what anyone that I've seen (on the web) does.

For example, when I did an Irish Chain, I first SITD in the 9 patch blocks and then put something in the empty blocks that was either embroidery or FMQ.