Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question using Elmers glue >

Question using Elmers glue

Question using Elmers glue

Old 12-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Did I understand your post on School Glue to say that if I have used the glue to glue the batting and top together that if it gets wet, that it will take the glue off? I like using the glue, but don't want to create a thing where it is gone if it gets wet.
Please advise.
Mariah
Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Smile Yes Elmer's washes out.

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
Did I understand your post on School Glue to say that if I have used the glue to glue the batting and top together that if it gets wet, that it will take the glue off? I like using the glue, but don't want to create a thing where it is gone if it gets wet.
Please advise.
Mariah
If you use what I use, the Elmer's washable school glue, it will wash out with soap and water. Most people want it to do that but only after it's been stitched down as the binding would be. If you want it to stay there, use permanent glue. I assume Elmer's makes that also.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
Please advise.
Mariah
I'm a little confused. You want the glue to stay in the quilt even after washing?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:20 AM

Default Fairy houses?

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Elmer's glue (as with almost all white glues) are PVA glue. The only difference is the amount of water in the bottle, hence the price difference. They are all water based. So, if you have a sticking problem, apply a few drops of water. This will soften the glue and the pin will release. This is the same reason you should not use these glues on projects that will get wet - the glue will release as it gets wet. (FYI - Mod Podge is simply the same pva glue with a gel component that allows for a more even spread.) Those of us who build items (terrain, fairy houses, etc) buy basic jugs of PVA dirt cheap and then water it down to whatever level we need to use it.
would love to see a picture of your fairy houses. What does PVA stand for? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Elmer's glue (as with almost all white glues) are PVA glue. The only difference is the amount of water in the bottle, hence the price difference. They are all water based. So, if you have a sticking problem, apply a few drops of water. This will soften the glue and the pin will release. This is the same reason you should not use these glues on projects that will get wet - the glue will release as it gets wet. (FYI - Mod Podge is simply the same pva glue with a gel component that allows for a more even spread.) Those of us who build items (terrain, fairy houses, etc) buy basic jugs of PVA dirt cheap and then water it down to whatever level we need to use it.
i did a little googling and it looks to me like PVA is like Elmers Giue all which doesn't wash out. On the other hand Elmers Washable school glue is supposed to be a starch like product that is water soluable and does wash out and can be thinned with water. Am I getting that right?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:08 PM

...and do you have to still sew your grid lines for securing before you start to do your fmq?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
...and do you have to still sew your grid lines for securing before you start to do your fmq?
I don't. But be sure you use washable school glue.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Elmers Washable School Glue is a very heavy starch product.

It will hold the layers of a quilt together while you quilt it and yes it can feel almost like a light weight cardboard depending on how heavy handed you are using it.

After you finish quilting a quilt it is usually washed to remove the glue, other fabric starch if it was used, any marks and dirt that may have gotten on it.

You don't want to leave the glue in the quilt after it is finished. The quilt will be stiff and not drape well.

Do not substitute any other glue for Elmers Washable School Glue.

Look for Sharon Shambers methods to teach all her tips on using glue. She can be found by doing a You-tube search. You won't be disappointed.
peace