Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners >

Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners

Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners

Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 AM

Default Questions for Handi Quilter Fusion Owners

For the past two years I've had an APQS Ultimate 1 - my first long arm quilting machine. I love it and even won an award at a national quilt show with the quilting I did using this bare bones machine. I feel like I'm at a point where I feel good about investing a little more into my machine and upgrading, as I currently don't have stitch regulation and I'd like a few other features the newer machines have. After pricing it out - I could get another APQS, specifically a Lucy that has a few more features than my machine, the new Bliss system and table, plus stitch regulation for around the same amount it would cost me to purchase a new Handi Quilter Fusion. The Lucy is a 26" throat where the Fusion is a 24" throat...but I do find that with vibration at the back of the machine I rarely use the back half, so I don't think I'll miss the two inches of space much.

The positives on the APQS are that I know the machine well, I know the customer service is beyond fantastic. I have a lot of faith in the company. I also know these machines will last forever as I'm currently working on a 15 year old machine and doing some fantastic things. Countless times I have called APQS and they are willing to sit on the phone with me and walk me through just about any mundane thing I might need help with. The only negative is that there is no local support...the closest person who works on these machines is 2-3 hours from me. Because they are so willing to help me repair my own machine, it's debatable how much that really matters.

I liked Handi Quilters from the get go but went with the used APQS because it was an affordable machine to get me into long arming. But now that I have more options now that I can spend a little more and I'm again considering an HQ. There is a dealer 30 minutes away from me and that is enticing. I am interested in the Fusion but have a few questions. I don't know much about the company and customer service really is a big part of my decision.

- Approx. how much is the fee to have it yearly serviced? (I will ask my local dealer as I know all places are different, but just curious what you all budget - what is normal).

- How is the movement with the new precision glide system compared to other machines? Before Precision glide I saw many people upgrading their machines with Edge Rider Wheels...are you happy with the movement with the studio frame and precision glide?

- Are there any other upgrades that do not come with the machines new that you feel are necessary to get the best work from your machine? (Not including a computer or software...)

- What kind of mechanical issues have you had if any and how long have you owned your machine? Something I love about APQS is they run forever..even though I have to oil a few wicks, the bobbin race, and change the motor brushes once a year...there isn't all that much maintenance. What kind of $$ have you had to spend in repairs with your HQ?

- How do HQ machines hold up to heavy use? I would like to increase my quilt intake over the next year and I do want a machine that will hold up to heavy usage.

Any insight is appreciated! I do rely quite a bit on what I hear from other long arm owners to make my decision so I'm grateful for your thoughts!

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 11-18-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I know you say you have narrowed down to APQS or HQ. Any reason you are not considering an Innova?? I ask only because I have seen a lot of LAers upgrade to Innova. Not only that but at the last MQX in NH my friend and I got right up on every quilt. I am talking nose right up to the quilt. At MQX they say what machine was used on the tag. Of all the quilts we saw quilted on, like A1, Gammel, HQ, APQS etc the stitch quality of the Innova was obviously better. An Innova stitched quilt won Best of Show. I rarely see Innovas on the market used, which means those of us that have them, see no reason to upgrade or part with them. I haven't comparison priced since I got mine a few years ago but back then the HQ and Innova (with standard SR not lightening stitch) was comparably priced and the Innova was obviously a more heavy duty machine with a MUCH better rack system.

I don't want to further muddy your waters, just thought I would throw that out there.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Haha oh look at you sending me into a machine tizzy!! LOL Innova isn't totally out for sure...I think my reasoning was more local dealer or stay with what I have. Not that I will buy local - but knowing that if I need repairs I will have someone local. My next machine I hope to have for a very very long time! I tested an Innova and I liked it very much.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Another question - I have seen some sites mention that HQ's used for business void the warranty - trying to find info on that - is that still true or old info? I would imagine if they just came out with a 26" throated machine they would be for those running businesses as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I have been an HQ customer for 11 years and love my machines! Customer service is wonderful!!! They too are willing to spend the time on the phone to walk you through any issues. When I bought my first machine I had no local support/ service available so depended on customer service long distance a lot. Now we have a new local (30 minutes away) dealer and I am so very happy about that, they even do house calls, so I do not have to take the machine in for service. My new upgrade is the Avante and I am loving it! The precision glide system is superb and having* Precision, Cruise and Manual* capabilities is great. And, yes they hold up to a lot of work, my first machine along with using it to quilt for myself and customers I also used for classes and rental time, so when I wasn't using it someone else was and I think when you have many different people using them that increases the ( wear & tear) yet the machine held up just fine. If you go with a local dealer you also have the opportunity to take advantage of free owner classes. I also get 25% discount on supplies, rulers what ever I buy at the shop ( that is probably dealer dependent)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 AM

You might check out the Yahoo group. I bet you'll get lots of responses to your questions.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ilter_Machines
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Ah, Having a local dealer is a mighty advantage. When my baby broke beyond any help to the point she had to go back to the factory in Texas (those were dark times in the Kingdom!), my dealer came to my house, picked it up, Crated it to factory specs because she had to travel via common carrier and brought it back to my home and reinstalled it all at no charge. ABM made all the shipping arrangements for me. I was too distraught to do anything and LAQ is only a part time passion for me.

ABM customer service is also awesome. It is 24-7-365. I got a service tech on the phone once over Christmas weekend. I didn't call Christmas day, wouldn't want it done to me and would never do it to someone else, but I did call over the holiday weekend. IMHO a good dealer is worth their weight in gold as well as factory support. All important things to consider in your decision.

There are some big time award winners who use HQ. Margaret Soloman Gunn quilts on an Avante, I believe. She uses her machine for commercial. I bet they have amended their warranty on that.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 AM

I noticed Margaret uses an HQ and Angela Walters switched from Gammil to HQ. I wonder at times how easy it is or isn't for them to speak completely bluntly and honestly as they have many eyes and ears upon them! Curious if anyone has switched from one of the "big" brands like APQS, Nolting, or Gammil to a Handi Quilter without regrets.

In all honesty in this day and age there aren't too many I totally would NOT get. I think most of them are pretty reputable. I am pretty brand loyal to APQS I will be honest since I've had such great luck with the machine. But there are some real enticing things about Handi Quilter for me. I am agonizing a bit over the decision to be honest!

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Ah, Having a local dealer is a mighty advantage. When my baby broke beyond any help to the point she had to go back to the factory in Texas (those were dark times in the Kingdom!), my dealer came to my house, picked it up, Crated it to factory specs because she had to travel via common carrier and brought it back to my home and reinstalled it all at no charge. ABM made all the shipping arrangements for me. I was too distraught to do anything and LAQ is only a part time passion for me.

ABM customer service is also awesome. It is 24-7-365. I got a service tech on the phone once over Christmas weekend. I didn't call Christmas day, wouldn't want it done to me and would never do it to someone else, but I did call over the holiday weekend. IMHO a good dealer is worth their weight in gold as well as factory support. All important things to consider in your decision.

There are some big time award winners who use HQ. Margaret Soloman Gunn quilts on an Avante, I believe. She uses her machine for commercial. I bet they have amended their warranty on that.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Agonizing over it is completely understandable! It is a huge investment and you want to be with your decision for many happy years. Make a list of pros and cons and look at every feature. Price, the rack, the maintenance schedule, how the dealer treats you, warranty the whole thing. I agonized for almost 2 years before and at least a year after. I am still hesitant to test drive other LA machines at big shows for fear I will love it even more than my Innova! LOL. But I am happy and we work well together and that is all that really matters. Heck I even agonized over upgrading to the lightening stitch while she was at the factory. In the end I figured I am pretty darn happy with my work now and why shell out another few thousand for different stitch regulator when the one I have is producing the results I want? I still wonder if I maybe should have but it is water under the bridge and I am sure my dealer will be happy to upgrade me should I decide to do it.

In the end, I think you can trust your gut. You are already doing beautiful work. I sometimes wish I had the courage to turn off my stitch regulator. I only tried quilting without it once and the world didn't come crashing down! LOL.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM

You are right about it being a huge investment! I already have a great machine too and I worry about selling mine, and then being stuck with something I'm unhappy with. I think Innova's are fantastic machines. I think really most of the big names out there are pretty good machines and there aren't too many I wouldn't use. I just have narrowed it down to APQS because I have one and know I like the machine and company, and HQ because I like the machine and there is a dealer local.

Thank you so much for your input and anyone else I'm grateful if you have thoughts to share. While I know that the decision is mine at the end of the day, hearing others experiences really does help me.