Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions: Selling a Machine On Line - Protecting Your Money >

Questions: Selling a Machine On Line - Protecting Your Money

Questions: Selling a Machine On Line - Protecting Your Money

Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Questions: Selling a Machine On Line - Protecting Your Money

Hi, I have been trying to sell a machine locally with no luck. I have had offers but it would require shipping. My hang-up with shipping is how to protect myself financially. Even if I were paid through Paypal, what if someone claims a problem with the machine after receipt when it was fine when shipped and gets Paypal to return the money.

Just wondering if you might share your experiences if you have ever shipped a machine you've sold and your insight into how you proteced yourself. My particular situation would involve over $4,000.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 AM

I purchased a machine, which was shipped from PA to AZ. Seller had it professionally packed. Machine was delivered in perfect condition. I believe seller added in the packing charge. Maybe this would be acceptable to your buyer. Good luck

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks Judy, I always like to hear success stories.

In my case, I have the original boxes so packing isn't an issue.

Just wondering, how did you handle the financial part of the transaction?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Unless you are set up to accept credit card payments you have to ask for money order or cashier check to be sure of payment. Not many will buy without using a credit card to protect the seller and buyer.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Thanks Judy, I always like to hear success stories.

In my case, I have the original boxes so packing isn't an issue.

Just wondering, how did you handle the financial part of the transaction?

Thanks.
I used Paypal, our daughter had an account set up. I had forgotten about that part.

Judy in Phx, Az
Old 06-23-2013, 04:29 AM

I had to send a machine in for serviceing, I bought it on ebay and it was guaranteed. The seller said if I wanted to have it guaranteed thru shipping (he paid for shipping charges) then I should take it to UPS and have it packaged. I did that, it cost 25 for them to box it and ship it and it was nice not having to worry about it getting there ok. He always packaged his own but was willing to take a chance and stand behind it, I couldn't afford that so the 25 was nothing. I had the shipping box too but UPS will put it in their own box even if that means putting your box into thiers which if you are paying shipping charges it goes up due to added weight. I'm thinking about putting my Viking #1, the one that was serviced on eBay and I'm going to give the buyer the option of paying 25 extra for packaging so that it has that guarantee. My machine is not where close to 4000 so alot more to have to cover, I'd have it professionally package and let UPS take the responsiblility.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 AM

You might consider using an escrow service. It's a third party that holds on to the money until both parties engaged in the transaction are satisfied.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM

I just shipped two machines in April...had no problems. I packed them very well with bubble wrap and made sure everything was taped so it couldn't shift...be sure and take foot and needle off so nothing gets bumped or jammed. You really have to add enough shipping to be sure you don't come out on the short end...I went to usps.com and figured weight to CA from where I live and then used that...good luck
Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 AM

After trying to sell my Pfaff 2056 locally with no luck, I sold it on Ebay using Paypal for them to pay. It sold in two days. I had it professionally packed and shipped at UPS and that was included in the price. Paypal holds the buyers money until the buyer receives the product and has a little time to unpack it. When all is clear they make the money available to you, the seller. I felt like it was very safe and money and product protected on both sides. I would use paypal again for that kind of transaction. Of course, they do charge a fee for the transaction based on the selling price.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM

But what happens if the buyer "claims" the machine doesn't work, and doesn't return it, but requests a refund from Paypal? Maybe check with Paypal to see what they recommend, or maybe add something to the Paypal invoice stating something to the effect that the machine must be returned professionally packed and shipped at the buyer's expense before a refund will be considered...