Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt design wizard >

quilt design wizard

quilt design wizard

Old 01-31-2012, 03:39 PM

Default quilt design wizard

has anyone used this? I know EQ7 is supposed to be good but it's pricy to try. this is around 25.00 but I am barely computer literate. Any info will help me decid. I.m used to my crayons and paper. Thanks all!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Our guild has this program on the guild computer. It's super easy to figure out. I think you will enjoy it.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM

thankyou!!! I use way to much paper and I am trying to be more earth friendly! Not to mention crayons do not erase if I change my mind in the middle to suit the fabric at hand!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

The website has free downloads every month for the quilt wizard program. http://www.quiltdesignwizard.com/qdw/default.asp
Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM

I have that program. I got it because I felt EQ was too much money for the amount of time I would use it. I find it easy to use and although I don't use it often it does come in handy.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM

I have Quilt Wizard. When I first got it, I spent hours just playing with possibilities! I, too, would use graph paper and colored pencils, and Quilt Wizard is so much easier!

A couple things to know...it is a limited program.
1. You can only use blocks in the library; you can't draw up a block and add it.
2. You are limited to the fabrics in the program. Now, there are tons of fabrics! I usually find a color I am thinking of using, then plug it in. I can get a pretty good idea of what my quilt will look like this way. It is easy to switch colors if it does not look right.

It has been a great purchase for me; it is lots of fun and worth the (lower) price!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 AM

I like Quilt wizard. My biggest problem with it is getting my grandson (6) , son, and husband off of it long enough to use it. They have saved many designs for when I have time to make them.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 AM

Here is a comparison chart-Design Wizard vs. EQ7

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/QDW/QDWcompare.pdf

I checked out Design Wizard before I purchased EQ7. What sold me on EQ7 was the ability to bring in a picture, copy of a quilt block, or create something I could never do with using Excel-(I used that too long). I am working on a quilt that has several different blocks representing Our Country, Patriotism, and the US Army. Not all blocks online were the size I needed. By placing those blocks into EQ7, I was able to create the same block in the size I needed. I downloaded my entire fabric stash (OMG-over 550 different fabrics), but downloaded much less as the fabric selection in EQ7 is extensive, and you can download other complete fabric lines. Everything I had in Excel for this quilt I was able to create in EQ7 and made it look exact and like a real picture of the quilt I wanted, instead of pieced in blocks. I got mine on a good sale at Quilt in a Day-over $50 off. And, I can put it on 2 computers at a time which has been a true time-saver. I only wanted something basic and quicker than using Excel, but so far am very pleased with spending more on EQ7. Plus, I already had 2 different Quilt Design packages that I can use with EQ7, so I can see what the final stitch design on the quilt will be. Looking forward to checking out what some of my fabric will look like as kaleidoscopes and OBW's.

Last edited by NanaCsews2; 02-01-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM

I have it too. And find it fun to play with, but I'm at the point I want it to do more. So I guess it's time to move on up
Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM

I've been looking at it, looks like fun, want one