Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt fest!

Blog Entries

Quilt fest!

My DH gave me a gift certificate to go to any quilt fest I want to so I am going to ask all you where you think the best place to go is. One he has on the cert. Statesville quilt and needle art extravaganza NC, Cinn International or 44th annual NQA quilt show in Columbus Ohio, Hampton Virginia Mid-Atlantic quilt fest xxiv , or any other place I choose. Since I have never gone to one of these before I am looking for guidance and suggestions on the best place to go. Thanks for all your help in advance.

I don't know about all of the shows you mentioned, but that said I have been to the Cinn show and I love it. It has beautiful quilts and lots of vendors. I really like that show.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I have only been to the Cincinnati show. It was great!
    Holly

I've only been to the Cincinnati show which was really nice. However, a quilting friend told me the Cincinnati show was better for viewing quilts that were on display but the Columbus one was better for buying. I don't how valid that is since I've never been to the one in Columbus.
    Heather

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    If you really want to go big time, why not wait and go to the Houston International Quilt Festival in October. It's the grandma of all other big shows and will really knock your socks off! Plan three full days there to see and do it all, including hundreds of vendors....HUNDREDS! Here's the web site.... http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...e=FallFestival

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

If I could truly choose any quilt show, anywhere, it would probably be Tokyo. That might not be what hubby has in mind, however.

I went to the Stateville Extravaganza this year for the first time and it wans't a quilt show, it just had vendors. I would not recommend it if you are only going to pick one. I would suggest the Paducah or Houston shows.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    The Statesville show is really only vendors and is kinda small. Go to a BIG CITY show check online for events near you If I could chose I'd go to Houston I live in Statesville

Blog Entries
    I volunteer at NQA in Columbus. I go to the International in Cinnci. What are you looking to do.? Each show has different vendors and direction. NQA is smaller. But I go on a bus to cinnci. We get in ahead of the masses and the trip is more comfortable from a bus. Cinnci is a better show. I would consider renting a room in near by KY and go to Newport Aquaium while there.

I agree with others about the Statesville NC show. I'm only an hour away and have only been once - wasn't all that impressive.

We lived in Memphis, TN for 18 years, during which time I became a charter member of the American Quilter's Society and went to the show at Paducah each year for 17 years...loved it! Believe me, it has enough going on to wear you out...lots of venders, beautiful quilts, good classes, quilt museum, on and on. You've got lots of choices...I've never been to Houston but I heard it's greater than Paducah. Let us know what you decide!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have always drooled over the Sisters quilt show in Oregon!
    Laughter is my medicine.

Melanie in Moline

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoSews View Post
    I have always drooled over the Sisters quilt show in Oregon!
    Sisters is a wonderful show, and it's one of a kind. But be aware, the quilts are up for only one day, there are not as many vendors as at large shows (such as Houston, MQX, etc.), and it can be hot and crowded. (I still love it!) For the best experience, you can go during the week before the show and take lots of wonderful classes. (I've never done that, yet!) If you go, arrive early on the day of the show (even before the official opening time) and wear comfortable shoes and a hat for the sun.

I went to Cinti for the first time last year and was absolutely in AWE of the beautiful quilts displayed and all the vendors. YLI was there (I love their hand quilting thread & could stack up) and look forward to going again. Want to go to Columbus this year, didn't go last year because I was going on vacation and didn't want to spend any extra money

Would love to go to Paducah, but it is during the school year, and I can't take time off.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Paducah quilt show is by far the best and largest I've been to. Vendors and quilts like crazy. I've been to the Columbus show, also and this year plan on going by bus to the Cincinnati show. But Paducah is awesome and if you go to Paducah you must go to Eleanor Burns store, and "The Purple Toad winery" there. I got hooked on their PaducahBlue wine and now order it and have it shipped! Also a quilt museum in Paducah. We went several years ago, it was the year of the flood there but it was awesome and would love to go again. And the town isn't huge like Houston will be, but that being said, I'd love to see the Houston show.
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    I vote for Paducah too. I've only been once, and that was a one day bus trip. I would love to go back and spend a couple of days.

Paducah or Houston if you want a really big show. Chicago is having one again this year. Minnesota quilters put on a good show, I think usually in June. Or, the outdoor show in Sister's, Oregon would be some to consider. What a fun gift!

If you haven't been to Paducah, Kentucky it would be a great choice. You may need at least 3 days there. A lot to see.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I see you are in Ohio...what about the AQS Grand Rapids Michigan show?
    http://aqsshows.com/

I have been to the Hampton, VA show a number of times, and have really enjoyed it. I'm sure it's not like Houston, but it takes me at least two days to go through it all. Lots of vendors and lots of quilt.

Blog Entries
    I live a little north of Cincinnati so I have been to both the Cincinnati and the Columbus show. Both were great. I would love to go to Paducah but I hear you need to plan ahead because most of the hotel rooms are already booked.

I go to Paducah every year for a week. start out with a class with Eleanor Burns on Monday and all star review on Tuesday then show Weds-Sat and then drive home. I am about 3 1/2 hours from Paducah. Yes it is hard to find a room we book from year to year. But there may be bed&breakfast still available and some quilters in area open their home to other quilters. check with chamber of commerce for room options. good classes,quilts, and vendors, things all over town and shuttle buses.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
    The Statesville show is really only vendors and is kinda small. Go to a BIG CITY show check online for events near you If I could chose I'd go to Houston I live in Statesville
    I agree. It's not a really big show and mostly vendors. I live in Statesville too.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I would go to Paducah or Houston for sure. I went to Des Moines this year and the vending was great, but the show was smaller than I expected. My class was disappointing, but it was because the instructor wasn't able to make it and the sub wasn't great.

I live here in NC, and I would not consisder the Statesville show and extravaganza! It's just a local quilt show with a lot of vendors from around the area and some from out of state. I go every year since I moved here from NY but I wouldn't travel to come to it. I'd wait and choose Houston or Paducah, Ky. Happy travels!
    Patti
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
    ~Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast