Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Fight! >

Quilt Fight!

Quilt Fight!

Old 01-25-2020, 10:34 AM

I have 2 such beast that have been calling me to finish. One I have put away so well I can't find it right now. The other requires a great deal of frog stitching to get back on track. Both have been difficult from the very start with blocks coming up incorrect in measurements. all the way through the bindings. I call the one beast the "quilt from hell" and the other one, "what was I thinking".
Old 01-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Maybe it’s time to put it aside. Find a Beginner friendly pattern you like, work on that, rebuild your esteem. Maybe complete a few new projects. Then when you feel better able to continue the ( beast project) get it back out and look at it with more experienced, fresh eyes. Many of us have jumped into something we were not really ready for- mine is still in a box- getting close to twenty years now. I insist I’m going to get it out and finish it ( someday)
Old 01-25-2020, 07:24 PM

Kudos to you for hanging in there and not giving up and going out to buy a set for a set of sheets or something. Your pillow and shams will be loved just as much as a full size quilt. Please take pictures and share them with us.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:41 PM

My general policy is "if you're not succeeding, change your definition/parameters of success until you are." Maybe you started with the definition of "success" being to make a beautiful, completed quilt with the pattern you chose, but something interfered. That doesn't mean you still can't learn from the mistakes you made with it or use the blocks for something else or use it for experimentation like new piecing techniques or quilting patterns or color schemes. Or maybe, as in your case, it will eventually get done but much later than anticipated- not only will you have succeed with your original goal, but you've doubly succeeded because you persevered for so long to finish it. Bravo!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 PM

You all are great! Thank you for the encouragement. When you're sitting there with the "the beast" , "quilt from hell" , or "what was I thinking!" in your lap, crying with frustration because yet another thing went wrong, it's so wonderful to read other's stories, get refreshed, and dive back in. And tonight, when I was thinking that maybe I'll find another hobby....I listened to the sound of my sewing machine as it stitched, and thought nope, there's definitely another quilt in my future!
Old 01-26-2020, 05:12 AM

Oh yes, I had a Jacqeline De Jonge that went great till I tried to fit the circle into a square. That one ended up all together, backing included, in a vinyl zippered mattress pad bag under the bed of my sewing room for over a year. One day, I pulled it out and the answer was clear. Applique the circle to the square instead of trying to match up all those connection points with a seam. It was totally worth, putting it up, setting it aside, forgetting about it, rediscovering it and ta da! Done.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:16 AM

I think we've all been there, my latest is a small quilt, picked the fabrics, I thought they would look ok but oh no, I misread the pattern and it's horrible. My neighbor's dog loves it!
Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 AM

Sometimes when quilts are causing frustration it’s good to have a quilt buddy take a look and offer suggestions. Another viewpoint sometimes is the key. But then there are quilt patterns that were just poorly designed or may even have major errors. Then you have to decide how you can selvage or repurpose your project. These are the projects that build our skills.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:00 AM

I suspect most of us have a story. Lol we learn from them so go make a lap quilt. You will do a wonderful job.❤️ My first quilt was a baby quilt and it is still adorable though it is 17 years old and has been loved by 2 grandchildren. That made me so confident I made a Lemone Star.. it took a long time to finish! I love that you reworked your “beast”.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:13 AM

So there she is, Got it done this morning...Finally! It was supposed to be a queen size quilt, but this will be just fine, it might work out even better, actually, since if I made the queen, I'd have no fabric left over for accessories. This project was such a life sucker! But I'm happy now, I have my life back! Thank you all for your kind words, and for sharing your stories with me. If anyone is interested, I'd love to see your beastly projects that you fought and won<3
Attached Thumbnails runner.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-26-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps