Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: quilt lesson

Hi, looks like we are 'neighbors'...I would say yes, take the lessons....you will love it.

Blog Entries
    I say that you need to come out out of your shell and step out there. Once you're out, you'll find that you enjoy the company of others and can learn a great deal from other quilters. You will probably love it and decide to do more. Plus it will definitely build your self confidense and self esteem.

Take classes. I get very nervous when sewing with other people around, so I take cheap fabric to use during class and then go home and use the good fabric. I have found the classes to be benifishfull.

Blog Entries
    Fi9nd a shop where you are comfortable and like the teacher then sign up for a class that is suitable for a beginner. I am a newbie to sewing and quilting and just took my first class this weekend as learnt alot. You will find friendly people and our shop limits the class size to no more than 8 people so you get attention to the help you need so find out the class size. I am also shy but in order to come out of the shell and learn you need to sometimes step out of your comfortable zone.

Jeff

Hi Linda701-
    I was new to quilting 5 years ago and watched Alex Anderson's "Simply Quilts" TV show. I also discovered an on-line site called "QuiltersCache". Marcia Hohn, who established that site, has hundreds of quilt blocks posted, all free.
    In copying them all to my laptop [while periodically sending her $25 because I just felt so grateful] I gradually learned how to piece blocks. Now I can look at someone else's quilt and see how it could be made. I don't have much to spend so I only buy patterns that I can't figure out or that have intricate paper-piecing.
    I also bought some introductory books.
    Then I knew what I needed to learn and took a few classes. They are great fun. Plus when you know what you need, you know what questions to ask.

Now you seem to be way beyond where I was when I started. Free motion quilting is still very hard for me but what everyone says is that you must practice, practice, practice - which I hate. So I advise getting a book on free motion quilting at your library - trying things at home first - and then practice a lot - and then you will get maximum benefit from your class
    experience. - Judy

I say do what you are comfortable with....not what your husband or anyone else thinks. Everyone has their own learning style. Don't let being shy stop you though, find a teacher who you feel comfortable with, ask questions about what kind of class you would do best with.

From one shy person to another: take the class and ask for help when needed. I did and am glad of it!

Another option you might try is see if any of your friends are interested in attending with you. I took my first class with two of my dear friends who were more interested in quilting than I. Funny thing, I am the only one still quilting.

I've been quilting for years but took a class Saturday at our new LQS. I loved the teacher, met some new quilting friends, and learned quite a bit, especially about how sloppy my work had become lately! Check the quilt shops. This one offers a class for new quilters.

I've been sewing for 38 years, quilting for 12 and I take lessons, our local shop is teaching Martie and Me classes, $6.00 and you get the pattern and paper templates, I've been buying the plastic templates. I've had 2 lessons and have paid for the next 6..I love it

I've been sewing for 38 years, quilting for 12 and I take lessons, our local shop is teaching Martie and Me classes, $6.00 and you get the pattern and paper templates, I've been buying the plastic templates. I've had 2 lessons and have paid for the next 6..I love it

Power Poster
    It's fun taking classes. I am also shy but it is so nice to see how to do things the right way and learn different tips and techniques.

I would love to be able to go to the class with you and help you with your shyness. I am sometimes timmid myself when learning new things. I have always found that there are some great teachers out there and I have only met a few PIA quilters. Pretty much we are a great group of people and helpful>>>>>>>>> go and enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    I take alot of online classes. That way you can work at your own pace. No pressure.
    Where do you take online classes?

Blog Entries
    Quilt university is great, I take courses all the time & have quilted for over 45 years...

Blog Entries
    Yes...take classes! I've been mostly self-taught due to health issues and have been quilting for 7 or 8 years. I have taken several technique courses and just yesterday took a 4 session basic quilting class. I learned enough to feel the price was worth it. Some thing s you just need to see done and be able to ask questions about. The class was fun, I was able to answer some questions for other quilters, I got a few new ideas for gadgets and new ways to do things. Not everything was a plus, I will not continue to pin baste leaving the safety pins open, I will go back to using quilt spray, but that's ok. There are a million different ways to do everything and it's really fun to see some of them.

Definitely, take a class or 2 or more. It will save you making a lot of mistakes & improve your quilting skills. It's great fun, too.
    I never met a quilter I didn't like.
    Mary Louise in OKC (aka MLOQuilts)

Blog Entries
    YES, learning to quilt is a hands on. I think you will pick up alot!!! just my thought cause I wish I had time to do it

I agree with QBeth. Going to the actual class will build confidence in you. Plus you will know for sure what your doing is correct. Going into a class in time builds friendships even with just one other person. On the other hand talk to the teacher re: how you feel and ask if you can drop out If you feel the need to without it costing you extra money.... Either way you go we know you will do great. Be sure to share you works with us. (((hugs)))

Check out Leah Day's blog where she shows you how to do a bunch of different quilting designs with your DSM. She has pictures and videos that really lay it out for you.

I have never met an inconsiderate quilter !! Go !!

Go to Day style Designs.com. She has 200+ videos on FMQ.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I say go for it. You have nothing to loose , worse case you have the same skills you started with. I can not really think of a good reason not to do it.
    Just remember that quilt teachers are like everyone else, some are great, some are not. If the first class you take isn't for you, try another teacher. Also we have lots of tutorials and links that you can also look at. Welcome to our world. :D

Hope it goes well.

Blog Entries
    If you want to become an accomplished quilter, then by all means take a qulting lesson. You could also practice on a piece of muslin,batting and muslin-all three together and start stitching you could follow a pattern or do your own meandering. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast